Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NYC LF Photography Shoot

Post NYC LF Photography Shoot

Hey Guys,

A few of us are planning a large format group shoot in Central Park on February 3. Anyone can show up with any camera, but non LF photographers should keep in mind that the LF folks cover a lot less ground in a lot less time.

At this point we're just beginning the conversation about how this will work. Thus far it has been suggested that we meet up at the boathouse (warm, has coffee) and then go out and shoot.

It would be fun if a few people are willing to let others try out their camera, since renting various cameras can be expensive and there's nobody in the field to show you how they work. Just an idea. If people are interested in that I'm thinking it would be helpful to know ahead of time. If there was a model I was particularly keen to try I'd rent some film holders in that format and load them up before I went. I for one would be willing to let people have a go with my 11x14 Wisner. I only have five film holders for the day, so if you actually wanted to shoot some film with it you'd need to dig up a holder. (on second thought, if someone has a large changing tent that might do as well...)

Anyway, if you're interested feel free to respond to this post or sign up for the Northeast LF Event Mailing List I started by going here:
    http://alec.com/mailman/listinfo/northeastlf_alec.com

Your email should be secure, and I don't sell addresses!

Cheers!
    --A

Re: NYC LF Photography Shoot

Hi Alec--Central Park is easy enough, as long as I'm in town. I've signed up for your list.

I also shoot 11x14", so I could bring more holders and my American Optical camera or shoot another format myself, if there is interest, which would also give us the chance to compare filmholders for this format. I've got two Hoffman, two S&S, and one antique that I could bring if I have a chance to repair it before then (needs a new flap on one side).

Sounds great, David. Nice to know there's another 11x14 user in town. Never seen a Hoffman or S&S film holder... I have three Sterling and two Empire holders. One of the Empires has darkslides that are near impossible to remove when it's in the camera. I also have a Fidelity holder but it will likely have sold before Feb 3.

I'd say bring the 11x14 -- it'll be fun to see a different model. I'm hoping someone comes with a 7x17 as I'm dying to try that format....

Cheers!
    --A

With the remarkably warm temperatures we are experiencing currently, make sure to get a good shot of the Cherry Blossoms in full bloom in the dead of January while in your Bermuda shorts. This is scary.

The last time I shot in New York I needed a tripod permit.... Even if you aren't shooting commercially, you can spend the best part of the light arguing about whether or not you are shooting commercially to whatever law enforcement official takes offense to your effort. This was a few years ago, but I would double check on it. I don't think the permits cost anything, but came in handy the two times I got stopped by police.

I'm assuming they are more cautious following 9-11.
    Robert Oliver

Depends where you are. I've never been asked for a permit in Central Park, and I shoot there often.

I've been shooting 4X5 in Central Park for 20 years and I have only been told to get a permit once and that was from a park ranger who was showing off for some high school kids. I went to the office of the Central Park legal council and he told me that he never heard that tripods were a problem. An experienced ranger told me that, technically, if you have something that is going to touch the ground, it needs a permit. That goes for tripods, folding lawn chairs and anything. I find that the park employees are very nice and often interested which is great. Good luck shlepping.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    I'm assuming they are more cautious following 9-11.
    Yeah, some security guard in Red Hook tried to tell me that once. Somehow I can't picture terrorists scoping a potential terror target with large format cameras. Hell, or medium format cameras either. With tiny, barely noticeable 12MP digital cameras around (that don't require a lab...can you imagine them picking up their 6 rolls of film of the NASDAQ building from a lab?) it hardly seems likely they'd be shooting any kind of film.

Camera discrimination? I might just have a case there!

--A

PS: We are most definitely getting a permit....would be terrible to have everyone come in only to be told to go home!!!

I should be able to make this as well although I "only" have an 8x10
    Is the tripod permit serious? If so, how do I get one?

Alan.

Alec is getting a group permit just to be on the safe side, so we don't have to get individual permits.