Thread: Need help choosing!

Need help choosing!

I've got word from Jim that the 4x5 has been mailed, so hopefully I'll have a nice Cambo monorail to play with in a little over a week!!

Anyway, my current 'heavy duty' tripod is a "F1RST" Lander L830 tripod. It seems strong enough to just about handle my wooden half-plate camera at odd angles (I tried, and failed, to do some macro shooting with bellows fully extended). I can't exactly weigh that camera, but its not exactly light.

As ever, being young and on a tight budget I need to consider whether this tripod will survive a possibly heavier monorail camera. If not, what is the cheapest tripod (available in the UK) that people here have used and felt comfortable having a similar camera on??

On top of that, I need a nice case for it, so I was thinking buying one of those metal flight cases, but is second hand a good option? Think maybe the case will have a few too many bashes and it's best to buy new? I've seen them for as little as £20 second hand, so it seemed like a sweet deal so I have a nice lightweight strong case for storing and transporting.

Course, I can only buy one or the other until I next have some work, so some advice on the cheapest tripod to get, and then whether a metal case is worth the hassle would be appreciated!!

Thanks!

Re: Need help choosing!

It's somewhat overboard and not something you'd want to go hiking with, but at my home i use a Quickset Samson. There are several models of the tripod itself, several heads, a dolly and the hi-lo attachment which can be something of a pain but provides some extra versatility.

They show up on eBay all the time and sometimes sell very cheaply. Look for "Sampson" also, I got one very cheap quite possibly just because the seller wasn't a speller.

Oops. Didn't notice the UK mention. I'm afraid shipping would drive a Samson out of all reason. Sorry.

I'd suggest waiting until you get the camera, and then try it on your existing tripod. Even a heavier tripod may need help (e.g. an add-on support arm) for long macro extensions. Although I have hard cases for a couple of my cameras, I seldom use them due to the added weight. I'd let your personal situation dictate that need. By then, you'll have already spent that money on lenses or other goodies.

I use a Manfrotto 055 with my Linhof monorail without any apparant problems though I realise an 058 or 075 would be better. The Cambo is lighter than the Linhof, I think. The problem is that heavy tripods are not cheap, even S/H. Especially Gitzo!

Quickset tripods used to be available in this country – I had a Husky about 30 years ago – so may turn up occaisionally on UK eBay: similar weight/strength to the Manfrotto but the head was susceptible to wear.

Try your existing tripod first: if it is not suitable then start saving your pennies. Without a firm support even the best lens will not give a sharp image. Good luck.

Richard

thanks for the replies. Looks like some patience is in order

Ash,

I'm sure you have "big box" home improvement stores (hardware stores without atmosphere) in the UK. I've noticed in the 'tool corral' they often have aluminium tripods that appear quite heavy duty for pretty cheap. You might take a gander at one of those.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White