Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: solar photography resorces

Senior for sure

Re: solar photography resorces

Proceed with EXTREME caution whenever you are pointing any camera or telescope at the sun. You can burn the coating of a lens, and you can INSTANTANEOUSLY destroy an eye. Lumicon, Coronado, Thousand Oaks all make a variety of direct viewing filters. Baader film works, but... it is thin and subject to pinholing, handle it gently (Jim Kendrick, at Kendrick Astro in Toronto can make custom Baader filters for you if needed in standard filter rings). Investigate projection imaging as an alternate means, particularly for eclipses. Spectacular images can be made, but there is spectacular danger too if you screw up. There are NO common everyday materials safe for direct solar view for photographic purposes - invest in the proper filters.

Metering is quite difficult with conventional film in the absence of in-camera metering - lots of bracketing required. One of the reasons why the quantum shift to digital for astrophotography. Most digicams that can be coupled to a telescope or used on a long lens can auto expose through an appropriate filter of the broad spectrum type. You might try using a conventional autometering 35mm to get you in the ball park, but to fill a 4x5 screen will take a long lens or projection techniques with a large reduction in intensity at the plane. I have a Minolta meter probe attachment for one of my meters - now you've got me thinking about direct ground glass reading in such a setup - hmmm

If you use a film like Baader over a telephoto lens, or any proper filter, make absolutely sure it can't slip while you are viewing. You can't remove your eye, or blink fast enough to escape damage to your eye when viewing the sun under magnification, if the filter slips.

35mm H-alpha (VERY expensive filters...) will require time exposures due the density of the filters. Programs like Registax along with a string of digital images can make excellent pictures through stacking - something that is technically possible with film, but very hard to do.

"Astrophotography for the Amateur", by Michael Covington (Cambridge University Press, ISBN 0-521-62740-0 2nd ed 1999 - he may have a 3rd in the works) will give you tons of info for film based astro and solar photography. He's a little behind on the digital, but then so is everybody. Digital astrophotography is presently known as "wallet science" (deep space=deep wallet...)

View through Thousand Oaks filter on an 90mm Meade ETX, 26mm obj, Nikon 950 digicam, slightly underexposed, minimal tweaking in photoshop. Very hazy June morning abt 7am. Transit of Venus. I think there a couple of sunspots in the haze shadows on the right limb, but unfortunately it was an extremely hot and humid morning and the sun was low in the sky.

Same setup, zoomed in, auto-exposure by camera, minimal tweaking in photoshop. 3rd contact of Venus, beginning of "tear-drop". Had hoped for a clearer day.

Baader film will give you a "white sun", Thousand Oaks are an orange-yellow as above and H-alpha is a deep reddy-orange, but the imaging can be spectacular. You will need sidereal tracking for H-alpha shots due to long exposure times. You *might* need tracking on 4x5 on the other filters if the exposure times are longish.

Last edited by Paul Coppin; 30-Dec-2006 at 08:44.

Paul,I agree with what you said, just one side note - those are not sunspots what you see on you picture. The 8th of June 2004 there was just the sunspot 627, in the middle of the Sun. What you see on your picture is too big for a sunspot and too light. It is surely a spot of some other origin. You can even see the Venus atmosphere on your second picture - what a spectacle!

Senior for sure

I'd like to agree with you on the atmosphere, but I don't think it is - I think that's simply edge diffraction due to the extent of the haze between me and the sun. However, I'm ready to be convinced otherwise! It really was a muggy morning. Had it been a clear morning the limb of the sun would have been much sharper, as would have Venus. The atmosphere would have been much thinner... The ETX/Nikon combo is capable of much finer resolution than is apparent here, if conditions favour (which they rarely do in the Greater Toronto Area... )

Don't despair, Paul - it is clear color fringe caused by the sunlight passing through the Venus atmosphere. The color fringe on the Sun is caused by the Sun's own atmosphere too. I have that on my pics from that day too - and the day was absolutely clear all the time here.

Senior for sure

I don't want to hi-jack Adrian's thread, but here's one more for GPS: this is enlarged, and the pixels smoothed some to bring out the contrasting details, but note the anomolous shadow artifact (the entire "tear-drop effect" is now thought to be an optical artifact) on the right of Venus.

Thanks, Paul - a very nice detail of the tear drop effect caused by the conjunction of the superimposed Venus and Sun's atmosphere. One of the most spectacular (and also the shortest) effects to observe during the event. Also - the moment (the whole transition) when you can suddenly see Venus not as a light object on the sky as you are used to, all the time) but a completely dark one!

Also, notice the marked difference between the Venus left side (lighter) and its right side (darker). Once again, the difference is caused by Venus atmosphere. On the left side the atmosphere bends Sun light to lighten up the Venus surface while on the right side the missing Sun light (absorbed by the Sun's own atmosphere) cannot achieve the same effect.

paul/gps, please don't worry about "hijacking" the tread, it has taken a fascinting tangent, i am enlightened and have a great deal of resorces to follow up, thanks.

however, let me explain. i'm working on a project concerning energy, and given that the sun is exactly that, i'm looking into ways to capture it. however my references are classical/antique rather than modern. Maurice M Loewy and M Pierre Puiseux Photographic Atles of the Moon (1896-1910) would be a reference. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maurice_Loewy and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Puiseux obviously the photographs for the atlas were made by famous astonomers in the Paris Observatory, and i am a layman without real resouces.

which makes jim jone's suggestion of using a home made "tube" with a conventional back very interesting, but rather the basis of a new thread, "home made very long lens" that i could maybe even hook up to an 8x10...

Adrian, I'm afraid you didn't take seriously the note made by Zach. Indeed, there is no way you could reasonably use 8x10 format in solar photography. You will never get the Sun picture so big, a small 6x7 roll film holder is the most you can hope forwith the super pinhole tube. A small telescope with a solar filter, or better, for a poor man, the PST Coronado will take you long way. In this case the digital guys have advantage over us, as Paul shows...

ok guys, thanks, i'll start to call up all those friends who have telescopes gathering dust in their living rooms... i was playing with a canon d5 the other day too, most impressive, maybe we'll manage get some good large format inkjet prints!!!
    thanks again
    adrian