Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Badger Graphic / Midwest Photo

Badger Graphic / Midwest Photo

Hello everyone!

I'm about to invest in some new ("factory fresh") lenses. Comparing prices, both Badger and Midwest have significantly lower prices than, say, B+H. I want to get the best deal that I can, but have taken pause after reading some comments relating that "new" lenses from Badger arrive in non-factory sealed packages and lacking paperwork. Are these lenses truly new? Is the deal too good to be true? What is the "deal" with these dealers?

...Or should I pay the big bucks at B+H (as I did with my 150mm APO-Symmar L), and know that I'll be getting factory fresh goodness, warranty and all?

Thanks!
    LB

Re: Badger Graphic / Midwest Photo

Hi,
    Nope, Jeff is the straight deal and so is Jim at MPEX. I have bought sll my new lenses from these two guys..Evan Clarke

I have purchased several new Schneider lenses from Badger with complete satisfaction. Midwest also has a great reputation, though I have not dealt with it.

Dave Karp

I have never dealt with Badger (heard only good things about them). I have dealt extensively with Jim at MPEX. I have purchased a LF camera, 4 lenses, some accessories, a Nikon D70, plus more I am sure. Each transaction has been smooth. Jim is great to deal with. Very highly recommended.

I've bought a brand new Fuji lens from Badger a few months ago and was in factory sealed never opened bag and box with all paperwork.
    I don't know where you heard that rumor from , but is not true, both Badger and Midwest are excellant companies to deal with.
    BR

www.brianreedphotography.com

I deal with all three. Dealing with b&H is dealing with a big business. Dealing with Jeff or Jim you are dealing with real people. I consider myself lucky that I can call them both friends as well as suppliers. They are two of the most honest straightforward vendors in this or any other industry. Don't know wht else to say .

Badger (and presumably Midwest) typically imports lenses themselves (so called "grey market") rather than purchasing through the authorized US distributor, hence much of the price difference versus more traditional dealers such as B&H. But if you don't need local warranty coverage (the odds of needing glass repair are remote, and shutter repair is not terribly expensive using sources such as Flutot's), then by all means take the money and run. I have bought many lenses over the years from Jeff at Badger and Jim at Midwest, and all have been top-notch quality. If there is a problem they will stand behind their product, either swap it out or arrange to get it repaired by the manufacturer (it just may take a bit longer than getting it repaired by the local distributor).

Generally the lower prices from Badger and many of Midwest are for gray market items. That is not always the case however. Badger imports the Fuji LF lenses and the Toho cameras directly from Japan. After discussions with HP marketing and Schneider, they have indicated that Badger does not sell US warrantied lenses and would not fall under the lifetime warranty (they may be importing them directly??). I am not sure if HP Marketing has changed the Rodenstock warranty from lifetime to 5 years. As I understand it Midwest does at least carry some US warrantied lenses, but you will have to check as to which are US and which are International warranties.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

In the Large Format "Hall of Fame", these two gentlemen are the original nominees for best supporting characters! You can not go amiss with either!

Cheers,
    Geary

Both places are excellent and reliable.