Thread: Eh? Wot? And why on earth?

Re: Eh? Wot? And why on earth?

Looks like a woodworker with too much time on his hands. Lessee, I've got this here lens and a bellows from an old enlarger, what to do, what to do....
    I'm guessing that the bellows vignettes at larger than 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, yet isn't long enough to give much focus range on the 135mm lens so the builder had to make a wooden box body to add a little extension.

It might not be a sophisticated image maker, but we've got to give the builder credit for offering so much labor for such a low starting price and no reserve. I wish him many enthusiastic bidders.

Confidently Agnostic!

Can you even get 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 film?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post
    Looks like a woodworker with too much time on his hands. Lessee, I've got this here lens and a bellows from an old enlarger, what to do, what to do....
    I'm guessing that the bellows vignettes at larger than 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, yet isn't long enough to give much focus range on the 135mm lens so the builder had to make a wooden box body to add a little extension.
    It could be pretty much the case, as you say. Certainly more of woodworking skills than anything else. However, it shows that the philosophy behind camera making is as important as the manufacturing skill itself. Sure, we don't know the possibilities of this camera maker so it can only be our guess... Anyway, put together the choice of 2x3 film holder (instead of much more practical 2x3 roll film holder), the (mechanically) poor focusing (parallelism!) mechanism, the even less practical camera case and you get a camera good - to get rid of. A lot to be learn for the unexperienced camera maker novice. But the sincerity of this camera maker is there, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    Can you even get 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 film?
    Yes, Ilford sells HP5+ in 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, and Efke/Adox PL 100 comes in that size. When JandC was open, I also bought Classic Pan 200 and 400 in 2x3.
    juan