Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodak - Winds of Change

Re: Kodak - Winds of Change

Darn, I'd forgotten how easy to load a 126 cartridge was. To bad they didn't adopt that system back in '26 or so for 120/220.

The idea of pictures self-organizing themselves into narratives would sound better if I didn't look at mine and realize they're just going to become a product of the Dada movement. Probably with the Talking Heads, "Stop Making Sense", instead of Celine Dion as the soundtrack.

Best of luck to them, as long as they keep producing the new Portras, TMX, and TMY for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence McDonagh View Post
    "Listen to what they say, but watch what they do."

They'll stop producing film AND fall behind the technology and marketing curve, and be out of business in 4 years.
    Yep.

Remember what happened with IBM?

They ditched their typewriters because their future was PC's.

Then they got "cloned" to death and ditched their PC's to the Chinese.

Now they are "consultants"!

Or think of this. The head of GM, a Mr. Lutz, today released a diatribe against the new EPA fuel economy standards because he says they penalize GM for making big vehicles that big Americans want to drive.

He went on to blame the Japanese carmakers for having the nerve to make small and mid-sized vehicles that give better fuel economy and meet the new efficiency standards.

BTW: how may GIs died in Iraq today?

Interesting. Just hope they don't sell their production and services to China to find they've lost their patent rights there. It's also an indication, artifical intelligence, or something similar, has been gaining ground into photography where you don't have really think and do anymore to have the "award winning photography." "Gee, I really don't know how I got the image, I just pointed the camera and let it and the computer do the rest. Camera settings? Exposure? Photoshop? What are those, and do they relate to photography anymore, or just old film photographers' being uppity again?"
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Michael Alpert

The theater was empty. (Everyone was in the lobby--chatting, and happily snapping pictures with cell-phones.) It was like the White House, the blind yelling at the deaf.

Nice that they have a sense of humor about the Advantix thing... what a bunch of nonsense that was... =)

--A

BTW: how may GIs died in Iraq today?
    It was like the White House, the blind yelling at the deaf.
    Gosh, for a second there I thought this was a photography forum.

The truth is, Kodak's biggest mistake was not in their rate of acceptance of digital camera, but in failing to keep up with the rapid pace of digital photography. 2006 prooved that the strongest, and most profitable area of the digital marketplace was the DSLR, and also was the year that Kodak killed off their DSLR... just as the market for it took off like a rocket. By the end of 2007, 1 in 3 digital cameras sold will be either a super-zoom, semi-pro or a DSLR. And what does Kodak offer for this segment? The 880?

All Kodak needs to do is license someone elses DSLR and slap a label on it, possibly fit up their easyshare dock (which is a smart idea in my opinion) and let it go. Pentax and Olympus both offer licensing of their technology, Pentax will even sell you their design for manufacture. Sure, Kodak would be a bit behind, but they'd be showing growth in the hottest segment. Kodak needs to push themselves upwards, consumer, prosumer and PROFESSIONAL. That pro market is the real driving force out there. You think Canon is #1 because their point and shoots are great? No, it's because that kid who opens up the crap A410 under the tree at Christmas dreams of having the 1Ds Mark II! Give them the show camera, the one that doesn't sell many on it's own, but sells more of their younger siblings.

I sell cameras for a living. I like asking my customers "so, why do you want to buy the *fill in the blank* today?" And 9 times out of 10, it's because "I'm saving for that *name high end camera here* and this will tide me over." The best sellers are the guys that you can dream with. I sell more Sony camcorders because of the Cinealta, I sell more Canon digicams because of the Mark II, simple as that. If I was to make a car company, I'd make a dreamcar first, then the econobox second, to "make em drool". Same with the camera world. Kodak needs DSLR's, preferably 5 of them to cover the spectrum from $500 to $10,000. Kodak makes FANTASTIC sensors for DSLR's! Look at the Leica R9 and M8! Time to push push push!

These opinions are my own, and do not reflect the company I work for. I'm a stubborn arrogant jerk at times, who honestly cares about the companies I sell cameras for. I got mad when Minolta sold to Konica, then to Sony. I don't want to see the big name, the giant, go the way of the dinosaurs.

And, if Kodak announced "no more film" they're stupid beyond all recognition. i've had film sales go UP this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Downix View Post
    i've had film sales go UP this year.
    That is EXTREMELY good news.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by BruceN View Post
    That is EXTREMELY good news.
    Good news... for everyone except Kodak, perhaps. Doesn't that interfere with their corporate objectives/plan/direction?

THAT was a funny!
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.