Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: New Computer Recommendation

Re: New Computer Recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Richards View Post
    With the Core-Duo, most of the reason for a dual processor machine goes away. While having two processors is nice, paying $1500 for the second one, with no option to pass on it, seems high. Again, the Macs are nice, but that is a lot of film and paper.:-)
    I have to admit that that's the same reasoning that drives me to buy a Shen-Hao rather than an Ebony or a Canham.

Ho, Ho, Ho and Merry Christmas.

Not to light anyones hair on fire, just an observation of natural reality.

The main reason to use Mac was Photoshop, but Adobe didn't release the new version for Mac when they released the new version for Windows. The reason given by Adobe was that Apple / MacIntosh didn't have a software development suite robust enough for the job.

That is the kiss-of-death for an OS. If third party venders can not make and sell software for an OS, they won't, PERIOD. Can anyone say OS/2 ? The software development packages from Microsoft are EXACTLY how Microsoft WON.

Just a thought.

Happy New Year people,

Looking around the net I found this:

Sun Ultra 40 workstations

Check the price and tech specs, worth a look, $2300 and up, 32gigs of RAM, twin Opterons, Solaris10 (FREE 64 bit Unix), Linux or Win XP Pro x64 / Vista

You can also check out:

ATI.com

It seems AMD and ATI have merged. Opterons and CrossFire video. Damn.

Have fun with it all.

best value for money seems to be an imac 20, external hd, second screen Lacie and the max of ram it can handles !
    i still using a G4 1,25 with two gigs of ram no complains, no service...

I haven't read all of the earlier posts, so, at the risk of leading this thread astray, I just bought a new Power Mac with dual intel processors (2.66 GHz). I have 3 Gigs of RAM. The machine is a delight. It's fast with Photoshop CS 2, but not screaming. The word is it will be screaming when the new version is released . . . . I bought just the basic Mac box, and upgraded the ram and added extra hard drives from Other World Computing (it's a lot less expensive that way). Installing the ram and hard drives is easy; takes about 5 minutes. One great feature is that it has 4 separate hard drive buses; one for each internal bay. If you can afford it, I can't see going any other route. BTW set up was unbelievably easy. When I first started the computer it asked if I had another Mac? I answered yes. It asked if I wanted to transfer data, software, and settings. I said yes. I was prompted to hook up the old Mac, which I did, the program then calculated it would take about an hour to set up the new computer and told me to come back then. I came back in an hour, and the desk top looked EXACTLY like my old machine, and all my preferences and settings worked perfectly. Fantastic.

Obviously you get the best machine for your money. I can suggest you get a towered machine though as they tend to be more powerful then notebooks, desktop replacements and smaller macs for less money.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I'm a mac dude, so it's no surprise I'll point in that direction.

If you really think you'll only use the machine for work prints, than Frank gave you the easiest solution ... get a nice imac and be done with it.

If you think you'll ever do any serious digital printing, I wouldn't go with that, because the imac monitors aren't up to the task of serious calibration and tone/color matching.

With the same budget I'd buy an older, used mac, and use the rest of the cash for the best monitor you can afford, and more ram, in that order.

Now that I have a Tower Mac 2.66 ghz dual with 3 GB of RAM, AND Photoshop CS 3 and Lightroom, I can tell you that this machine is SCREAMING FAST with the new native versions of these programs.