Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Computer Recommendation

Re: New Computer Recommendation

If you can find drivers for your scanner, I'd go with a windows box running 64-bit Windows XP. 4x5 scans get very large - easily half a gig in size and you need all the memory you can handle. 32-bit OS's just don't provide enough memory capability. I would trade processor speed for RAM and disk space - say 8 GB RAM and at least 500GB hard disk. For PC's you can get an external SATA drive with a SATA connector that will be much faster that firewire or USB.
    Again, this is all dependent on your scanner having 64-bit drivers available.

Quote Originally Posted by robc View Post
    yup, since the advent of NT4 windows has been a very stable paltform. Most problems relate to cheap third party and improperly tested software.

cheap software for a MAC?
    I'm going to disagree with you on that point. The WIN32 platform has definitely improved over previous incarnations. And yes, crappy software is crappy software, whether it's the OS you're talking about or the application. However, the biggest problem with the Windows platform in general is the porous security. Then, in order to patch the security holes, Microsoft release patches that fix one problem and create a few more. Where I work, we have to have a staff of people whose sole focus to test the patches that Microsoft releases to make sure they don't do more harm than good. Trust me when I tell you that not all of Billy Boy's "fixes" make it onto our network.

OSX isn't the catch-all, and neither is Linux. Where there is an OS that is designed to connect to the internet, there'll be some jackass that finds ways into your system and a few other cockroaches that delight in writing viruses. But all said and done...any Unix based application will run rings around any Windows based system in security, stability and speed. OSX is Unix-based and Linux is a close enough relative to Unix to qualify (although its evolution over the past couple of years has lead it off the primrose path).

Get a MAC. If you MUST have a PC, run Linux.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Tom,

I've never seen any retailer in the computer business who could give service like what we'd expect from Jim at Midwest or some of the other great photo retailers who keep us in gear. Its way too cut-throat -- they have no margins to work with and no back-up from the manufacturer. So no real "service" is what to expect, IMO.

A bad piece of hardware is going to be a pain to get fixed no matter who made it. I had an iBook go back three times before they had replaced every major component. (it's worked flawlessly for years since then) It must have cost Apple more to fix my computer than to have given me a new one right away, but they did fix it and were as responsive as we're gonna get these days from that industry. They work in a tiered system where you don't get escalated to the next level until your current level of support has failed. I'm sure it works well internally for Apple but it can be frustrating for the customer.

Since you have an Apple Store where you live it might be easier for you to get good support than otherwise. At least you can go face to face with them. If you are concerned about service you can buy AppleCare to extend your warranty. I take the small gamble that it the computer makes it through the one year warranty that it'll run for a good long time after that and so far its paid off.

My experience is that Macs give a really long service life. I've run several for 6-7 years with a just a few upgrades to keep them competitive or things like power supplies that are easily replaceable. I had a 9500 that went through two processor upgrades, several iterations of fast and wide SCSI boards and drives, multiple video cards, two motherboards, three power supplies, (MBs and power supplies were clustered at the end of its life since I was replacing dead parts with used parts, the other things I listed were upgrades not repairs).

You might consider a used Mac. Sometimes you'll see a deal where someone has to have the latest and greatest and you can buy their otherwise excellent machine for much less than new.

Tom,

The only time I ever needed a service for a Mac was when I installed an IDE hard disk taken from a misbehaving PC as a secondary drive into a G4. It turned out that the drive itself had latent problems which soon developed into a full blown electrical problem, causing the drive to die, taking the motherboard along with it.

Tech guys in my local Mac store went not just a proverbial extra mile trying to help me with that, they ran a whole maraton. And they never charged me for any of it, so I ended up getting a new Mac from them.

As for proprietary hardware, there is no proprietary Mac hardware any more, other than the motherboard, of course. It is a thing of the past ever since Steve Jobs came back to Apple back in 1999, or more precisely, since the introduction of G4.

Current Macs use SATA hard drives, DDR memory, USB and USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and 800, DVI for monitor conectivity, IDE DVD and CD units. You can even use Microsoft mouse on them. As for the usual problem with other people deciding what capabilities you need, Apple solves it in a very efficient manner - they simply build it all in every Mac. USB, Firewire, DVI, DVD-burner, full sound, and (except with towers) even cameras. You can use any DVI-enabled LCD and hook it up to a Mac, as either primary or secondary display.

Speaking of dual monitors, you don't have to do any setup, you simply connect the second monitor and adjust its resolution and background and set its profile. Yes, you can color-calibrate each display separately on a Mac.

The upcoming version of OSX, Leopard, will be fully 64-bit, and all Intel-based Macs will be able to natively run both OSX and Windows, possibly even hot-switch between sessions.

I've used both Mac and PC platforms for years, and my impression has been that PCs are available with range of components from cheap to very good, but that Mac uses (for the most part) only good components. So Macs are quite expensive, but a PC with good components approaches the price of a Mac. If you're able to build a machine, PCs offer the route to a custom machine.

So, back to some of the original questions. Do dual cores really make much difference for someone PS'ing a single 200 mb image? It seems like a single core 3 GHz processor would only take a second longer here and there for such manipulations as rotating or filtering.

Does Vista really offer an advantage to the PS user? I've heard it opens video capabilities.

I'm hoping to quite down my machine. Anyone use Glyph drives?

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jay W View Post
    So, back to some of the original questions. Do dual cores really make much difference for someone PS'ing a single 200 mb image? It seems like a single core 3 GHz processor would only take a second longer here and there for such manipulations as rotating or filtering.
    Because of the nature of Image processing algorithms, dual cores offer the potential to make a big difference. However, the software needs to be written to take advantage of multiple cores for you to see the benefit. I believe PS CS2 has been written to take advantage of multiple cores, but you should contact Adobe tech support to verify.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay W View Post
    Does Vista really offer an advantage to the PS user? I've heard it opens video capabilities.
    Jay
    I have used the preview releases of Vista and I have to say I'm not really impressed. Vista uses a lot more resources than XP so you would most likely need to upgrade your machine. As to video capabilities, I'm not sure that it really offers much benefit over what you would get by buying a high-end vidoe card and installing the manfacturers latest drivers. I intend to wait for at least one service pack before upgrading to Vista.

frank is on the money...

I think the difference between Apple and Microsoft may be grasped with analogy to cars, to clothing, and to many other products.

This may not be a perfect analogy, but Microsoft reminds me of the current US car industry and its culture, as contrasted with the European or Japanese auto makers, who remind me of Apple.

With their age-old traditions of pride of craftsmanship, the European and Japanese vehicles often outperform their American counterparts in many respects.

The Americans seem to have a more short term view, placing a greater emphasis on profits over quality. They try to compensate for this, with what I can only describe diplomatically as "marketing fluff", rebates, and other branding gimmicks.

If you are aware enough to appreciate the difference between Large Format and "all the rest", you will readily sense the difference between Apple and Microsoft.

The difference in fragrance pervades everything they make, and everything they say.

Just went to the Apple store to check prices against my Dell Workstation. Am I missing something - you do not seem to be able to buy a tower with only one processor. The Imac cannot hold enough memory or drives to be useful, so it looks like you cannot get out of the store spending less than about 3000K for a tower and a 3 year service contract. My 390 Precision Workstation, which is built to very high standards, was 1,200K for a Core-Duo, 4 gigs of ram, dual layer DVD burner, 160 gig SATA drive, 3 year 4 hour on site service, and expansion room for several more drives in the tower.

With the Core-Duo, most of the reason for a dual processor machine goes away. While having two processors is nice, paying $1500 for the second one, with no option to pass on it, seems high. Again, the Macs are nice, but that is a lot of film and paper.:-)

Ok, some specifics. I'm looking for a machine, and I think:

-Dual core probably Intel since it has better speed ratings with PS
    -2 Gb RAM (dual channel), with 2 more slots
    -I'm considering a 2 drive RAID set up
    -Two monitors (or at least one large one)
    -4 or more high speed USB connections (2 printers, scanner, flash cards, etc)
    -I plan to use existing drives, but a fast scratch drive is also something to look at
    -I also plan to use existing CD, DVD, (and floppy since I have it) drives...
    -Quiet

That's about it for now. Open to suggestions.

Jay