Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Tetons in February

Grand Tetons in February

Anyone have experience shooting the Tetons in Winter? I've been there other times of the year but not winter. Besides it being cold with lots of snow (that's why we're going ) any advice on accessability with 4WD (I know the NP road is closed), must see views, etc? Also, any sled like devices you've used for hauling LF gear over the snow? We'll be staying in Jackson Hole.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Grand Tetons in February

If you plan on going into the backcountry (which would mean skis or snowshoes) be sure you understand the avalanche risks. Paying attention to the daily avalanche forecast is the bare minimum ... probably a lot less than the minimum.

I've been climbing for over 15 years but from what I know of the eastern slope of the tetons, i would not venture there in winter without taking a full avy course.

Not too many years ago a slide coming down glacier gulch took out the entire lupine meadows parking lot ... so you could have been offed before even putting on your coat.

Teton mountaineering is a great shop and might have sleds for hauling gear, but I don't think they're a popular option in the tetons. slopes are steep, there's a lot timber, etc.. i'm not sure, but i think most people carry winter loads on their backs.

Paul, I should probably clarify my post a bit. We won't be doing any mountaineering. I have no experience in that, especially in the winter. We do plan to venture a bit on foot/snowshoe from the parking lot areas off Route 26/191 but not far. Thanks for the tip on Teton Moutaineering and the Lupine Meadows avalanche. Can you even get to that trailhead in the winter by car? I understand the Park road is closed all winter.

Teton Park Rd. and Moose-Wilson Rd. closed around the end of October. Unless you plan to do some serious snowshoeing I'd take a long lens and be at one of the plowed highway 191 turnouts for sunrise, then back at the lodge for hot cocoa an hour later. Or you could rent a snowmobile. Here is one place, I'm sure there are lots of others: http://www.yellowstonerv.com/

Bruce

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I figured you weren't talking about mountaineering ... just mentioning all that because you can be in avy terrain in all kinds of un-serious looking places.

there are lots of places you could safely venture far from the road on skis and snowshoes, in a lot of cases without it being too strenuous a slog. ... the trick is to have some sense of where not to go. aside from the grim warnings, i think you could have a great time in stunning surroundings.

i hope you choose skis or shoes over a snow machine. those things are so obnoxious out there. ruins the vibe for people and wildlife for miles around.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    ...you can be in avy terrain in all kinds of un-serious looking places.
    OK, ya got me. What the heck does "avy" mean? Wikipedia doesn't have an entry. Ten minutes searchine with Google didn't get me a definition. So...

Bruce Watson

I don't know how flexible your plans are but during December, January and February the Mountains can be cloud covered for weeks at a time. While storms are my favorite time in the Teton range the constant cloud cover is not real conducive to the big scene.
    If you don't have to plan far in advance watch the weather then go when it is right.
    Good Luck

Paul has been buried in so many avalanches that he has his own personal nickname for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    What the heck does "avy" mean?
    Perhaps he meant "any"...

The Mrs. and I went for Valentines Day several years ago. We were there for 5 days. Cloudy and snowy the entire time. Even a little drizzle. But the last night, it cleared out. Our plane left at 10 AM, so I got up before 6AM, and headed out to the Snake River Overlook. I got there half an hour before sunrise, and there were already about 8 other photographers there. There were a coulpe of 8x10s, and several 4x5, and a few medium formats. I put my Technika at the end of the line... It wasn't a great sunrise, but a bit after I got this:
    http://keyesphoto.com/PrintExchange/...nge-Keyes.html

It actually got better and the clouds build up around the mountains more after the moon set.

We stayed in some cabins in town, and brought our cross-country skis with us an skiied up the road from the visitors center a couple of times.

Definitely watch the news to see what the weather forcast is!