Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a Toyo 45A or 45AII?

Is this a Toyo 45A or 45AII?

I just purchased a Toyo 4x5 field camera, and am trying to clarify exactly what camera I have here. The camera was advertised as a Toyo 45AII, but the camera is labeled "Toyo-Field 45A" on the bottom outside plate. While I would not object to owning a 45A instead, I would not have paid the same price for a 45A as their market values are not the same.

Reading the forum posts here and elsewhere, I have heard several distinctions mentioned between the two models. The problem is that I have only one camera here and am not comparing the two side by side. Below are some details that I hope will help those familiar with both models to identify this camera:

- First and foremost, the inside front standard says "TOYO-VIEW 45AII" and the outside bottom plate says "TOYO-VIEW 45A." This could be because:
    (a) all Toyo 45A/AII cameras say "45A" on the outside (this possibility can quickly be confirmed or dismissed by current 45AII owners)
    (b) this is a "transition body" where it's functionally a 45AII but has the 45A label on the outside (e.g., early Hasselblad 500C/M bodies still said 500C but were functionally 500C/M's, referred to as transition bodies)
    (c) all Toyo 45AII cameras say "45AII," and this camera is a 45A and has had a replacement front standard from a 45AII installed
    (d) other
    - I have read that the color changed from glossy to matte. My camera has glossy (if comparing to wall paint) paint and matte leatherette. I'm not clear which (paint or leatherette) is being discussed when someone says they changed from glossy to matte.
    - I have read that the knobs on 45A cameras are plastic and do not have rubber around them, and that 45AII cameras have metal knobs with rubber. My camera has plastic knobs with rubber. The knobs on the front standard are metal with rubber, but all other knobs are plastic and have a rubber inset around the knob).
    - I have read that some components have Teflon coating in the 45AII, but without a second camera for comparison, I would need more detail to know how to tell if my camera has the new coating. I have not noticed any Teflon, however.

I appreciate any insights anyone may have.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Re: Is this a Toyo 45A or 45AII?

Kevin, sounds like you have a II. Can you post a couple of pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    Can you post a couple of pictures?
    Absolutely. Please let me know if there is a specific view that would be helpful.

Thanks,
    Kevin

The 45AII has a rotating back; you should see a small push button on the top left hand side. With the 45A, you have to take the back off to rotate if from the horizontal to vertical position. That is the major difference between the two cameras. Only the newer 45AII cameras have the teflon coating, I have one and it doesn't (it's about 6 years old).

Robert,

Interesting ..... I have a 45AII-L that is older than that and it has the Teflon coating. Of course the L model is an oddball and much more limited production.

Robert - yes, this has the rotating back, but I thought that the late 45A's had the rotating back. Interesting that the earlier AII's don't have all the differentiators I found in my research. Perhaps the transition was more gradual and I have a very early AII or very late A where they even had mixed the labels?

Robert and Ted - Is the outside of your AII labeled "45AII" or "45A"?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Confidently Agnostic!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Bradbury View Post
    Robert - yes, this has the rotating back, but I thought that the late 45A's had the rotating back. Interesting that the earlier AII's don't have all the differentiators I found in my research. Perhaps the transition was more gradual and I have a very early AII or very late A where they even had mixed the labels?

Robert and Ted - Is the outside of your AII labeled "45AII" or "45A"?

Thanks,
    Kevin
    If it has all the functions of the AII you were expecting I wouldn't fret over the cosmetics.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    If it has all the functions of the AII you were expecting I wouldn't fret over the cosmetics.
    I know, and I honestly don't care about the cosmetics. I am, simply, trying to determine if the seller misrepresented the camera so that I can pursue the issue if that is what happened.

Thanks,
    Kevin

It looks like a early Toyo 45AII. The front standard still have shiny sides like the
    Toyo 45A and the outside plate is a Toyo 45A plate.

What is the serial number of the camera ?

My Toyo 45AII was from march 1994 has 120-0300490 and it has no hybrid features.

Mine has 45AII, but is missing the bed plate. I'm not sure if it was ever there. Also, I think Per is probably correct it being an early model. Mine is about 6 years old, and the serial number is 120-2002274. I may be mistaken about the Teflon coating.

Personally, I love the camera, but need to replace mine badly. I accidentally dumped it into the ocean a couple of years ago, and it is starting to corrode in places - surprising that it has lasted as long as it has. I'll probably buy a new one this summer.