Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First LF shots !

First LF shots !

Hi all,

Having only previously posted in the Introduction forum, thought I'd share some of my first shots with you. First impressions of my move from DSLR to Large Format, I've found focusing, setting controls, and exposure hardly a problem at all to adapt to. I have been finding it hard to effectively find a good composition, mostly due to the upside down back to front image on the ground glass, but I imagine I will adapt to it the more I shoot.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with my results so far, on Velvia 50, though I am thinking of experimenting with Provia as I'm not sure the saturated colours of Velvia are to my liking.

Scanned on Epson 2450

Re: First LF shots !

Hi Mark,

Well done!

Yes, the more you shoot with LF... the stranger it'll become to have an image appear "right-side-up" on the screen!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Quote Originally Posted by Capocheny View Post
    Yes, the more you shoot with LF... the stranger it'll become to have an image appear "right-side-up" on the screen!
    I sure hope you're right HDC, 'cause I'm still dizzy under the cloth after 18 months.

Very nice Mark. I carry an small, aspect-equivalent frame to size up my compositions - one might help you too.

If Velvia 50 is "over the top" for you, consider a box of Velvia 100F, or Astia 100F - both have impressive reciprocity, and the Astia is a bit more forgiving in contrasty situations.

Dave Karp

Very nice.

Regarding the upside down/flipped thing: I don't even notice that things are upside down any more. Its kind of wierd when you think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    I sure hope you're right HDC, 'cause I'm still dizzy under the cloth after 18 months.
    Top of the season to you Eric,

It happens on the 19th month, 8th day... but only if you expose at least 18 or more sheets between the hours of 2:30 PM to 8:00 PM (when there's ample light) between the 6 and 8th day of the 19th month. Then, when you can snatch the pebble from my hand... you may go and expose even more sheets. Grasshopper, the more sheets exposed, the faster you'll become accustomed to all of this.

Funny enough, it didn't take me long to grow accustomed to the reversed image - upside down issue that some folks find difficult to adjust to. It's just a matter of giving yourself lots of time to "view" the ground glass and, IMHO, it's easier if there's plenty of light.

Faith, my friend... faith!

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Actually looking at your work upside down is a great way to determine if the composition is good. That was a trick we used in art school along with looking at the piece in a mirror.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Eric, I was recommended Astia by an avid LF landscape photographer, but to me the colours tend to look too 'pastel'. I will be grabbing a box of Provia 100F to try in the next few weeks.

Can't wait til I get used to the upside down image, guess I need to spend as much time as possible under the cloth

Cheers guys

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Straughen View Post
    Eric, I was recommended Astia by an avid LF landscape photographer, but to me the colours tend to look too 'pastel'. I will be grabbing a box of Provia 100F to try in the next few weeks.

Can't wait til I get used to the upside down image, guess I need to spend as much time as possible under the cloth

Cheers guys

Mark
    Mark,

I think you'll quite like the Provia 100F...

Greg is spot on... it forces you to "really LOOK" at your composition, which is a good thing!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I was told the same on my art course, turn your work upside down and suddenly you see where the composition is all wrong You'll find that for a more portable option you might want a Rolleicord TLR, as the reversed image (but right side up) keeps you on your toes.

Really nice photo's there though. I'm still trying to get a result with my half-plate camera, ortho film isn't really the best thing to start off with!

Sweet.

Neal Wydra