Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with CS3?

Problems with CS3?

Anyone notice any serious problems with CS3? Is it ready for prime time work?

Re: Problems with CS3?

Personally I have experience any big problems yet, but then it hasn't been out very long. The RAW processor is more powerful, but it's interface with its lettered tabs a little confusing. Sometimes when I save a file to a different format, the name of the file changes to the previous file saved. Not a big problem because you can type in the correct name, but this shouldn't happen.

Give me a week or two really dig into it.

There's been a bug in Photoshop for all these years that I sure wish they would finally fix. It in the "advanced blending mode" dialog. When you exit that dialog, sometimes even not having made any changes, it freezes up and you can hear the scratch disk clicking around for minutes at a time. I have written the people at Adobe about it several times, to no avail. Maybe one of you beta testing guys can raise the issue...

This may seem like an odd question, but it is important to something I have to do on a regular basis for architecture. Can you do Photomerge in 16 bit yet?
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

The only thing I really don't like is that they moved the feather command. It's now nested inside 'modify' under the 'select' menu. I suppose they did this to force you to use the new 'refine edge' instead?

Come to think of it, to feather is to modify the selection, and it should've been there before. Sounds logical to me.

Refine Edge is an interesting function and it seems to work well with Quick Selection, another new command that I am getting to like fast.

I just don't see what would be their interest in forcing anybody to use one command over the other. Photoshop has a history of providing multiple paths to anything that can be done.

To answer the original question: I have not encountered any bugs yet and the new version is very noticeably faster on Intel-based Macs. I'm currently running it on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo 20" iMac with 2GB of RAM and everything appears nice, fast and smooth, from startup to filters. It is a clear thumbs-up for me.

On the other hand, it is still a Beta version and despite there being no obvious bugs, there are some rough edges that will most likely be ironed out in the final release. Overall, Walter is right, with a program of this complexity, it is too early to say with certainty if there isn't something hidden. The time will show.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Can you do Photomerge in 16 bit yet?
    If you mean Photomerge stitches, yes and it's hellagood -- actually does essentially perfect stitches but still yields editable layer masks in 16-bit. Also now renders as flat or perspective correct, your choice

If you mean HDR merges, I don't a lot of new functionality.

To answer the original question, there are several bugz on my PC systems, especially in the print dialog.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Rotated images on Bridge don't show on the appearance pallete, and don't show on slideshows.

Thanks Jack. I did mean stitches. I won't bother buying a separate plugin that will do stitches in 16 bit then.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

I downloaded it. there are some cool new features. As Jack mentioned the B&W conversion looks very promising and being able to do merges in 16 bit is a definite upgrade. There are quite a few changes that I can't quite figure out yet like not being able to move my pallettes to the second monitor etc. All of which I will figure out in time I am sure. I don't find PS or Bridger to run any quicker however, which is particularly disappointing with Bridge as it always took more time to perform a given task than the same task in any other method.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73: