Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Filters in the field

Re: Filters in the field

I am using this wallet for my Cokin P filters. It also works well for round filters and thread adapters. It has velcro and the belt loop on the back, so it's easy to afix to the side of the bag or case if it's made of cloth and not plastic. No smudges so far.

To PViapiano:

I currently have yellow, green, red, 81a, infrared and polarizer, all Cokin P. B&W and infrared are fine, but polarizer gives a horrible color tinge. It's worse than worthless. If there ever was a filter where it didn't pay to skimp, the polarizer is it. And perhaps the NDs.

Next I am going to buy the best round polarizer I can afford in the largest filter mount I end up having and then use adapters for smaller lenses. I will also go Singh Ray route for the NDs.

Ed,

I use Linhof round filters of sizes 80mm, 100 mm and 105 mm which can be put on the front of the lens. They are very practical to use, but somewhat "thick". I just keep them in the original carton containers they came in. Would like similar size plastic containers, but have been unable to find any yet.

Quote Originally Posted by stompyq View Post
    But slow, and only works for round filters.
    Slow? I don't see how. At least not for me -- I've never missed a shot because I couldn't get a filter in time. Also, LF in general is slow. That's one of its primary appeals to many of us. If speed is your thing, you can do a lot better with smaller formats.

And round filters are what the OP asked about.

Bruce Watson

I sew a loose dust sleeve for mine out of a cheap lens cleaning cloth and keep them in a Tamrac filter wallet. Right before I take it out of the sleeve, I give it a quick wipe . It is quickly clean and stays dust free.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Tamrac filter wallet: light, easy to open, secure.

I have a small case, designed as an airline carryon. It is much bigger than what everyone else here seems to be using, however, in mine I carry a full selection of Lee filters, adapters, stepup rings and Lee lensshades (2). I also carry a Tamrac filter wallet in it, which contains all my round filters (one size).

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    Tamrac filter wallet: light, easy to open, secure.
    Me too. I keep my filters in different wallets organized by size. Each wallet has the adapter rings that might be needed and I sandwich a rubber lens hood in each. Only problem is that I either have all of the right size filters... or none (when I forget to grab the correct filter wallet). As a fall-back I usually have Kodak 4" gel filters (a VERY basic assortment) in the bag with my film holders, etc.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    I carry mine stacked in "filter caps" a set of metal threaded caps for both male and female threads of the appropriate diameter. Porter's has cheap crappy ones for something like $7.95. If you have Heliopan or some other brands the filter is identified on the outside edge. B+W or others without edge markings require putting a little tape on the edge and writing the filter info there. That is how to tell them apart when screwed together.
    Me too. I have had photographers laugh at me because they think the caps are so old fashioned. I'm not that old!

My preference is also the filter caps, or stack caps, for round filters. I used to carry 58mm filters in original plastic cases, but carrying two sets (added 77mm) that way wasn't fun. I like stack caps because they create a compact, self-protective "disk" of filters that can be carried in a pocket. They have faults such as unscrewing one in the middle could be tricky; screwing back in adds the risk of cross-threading; and filters may stick together if screwed in too hard (and temp change?). Perhaps using only "brass ones" would mitigate some of the risks.

Cokin filters are kept in a CD wallet, but the holder and rings are a pain. There must be a better way as I typically need only two grad NDs.

Dave Karp

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    Perhaps using only "brass ones" would mitigate some of the risks.
    I have run into a problem with mixed brass and aluminum filters in the wintertime. They get stuck and very difficult to undo. My explanation is that the different materials expand and contract at different rates. I ran into this problem once and it really makes it hard to undo the filter stack. A heavy rubber band made things easier. Now I use mostly 52mm filters, and none of those are the really good ones (B+W) with the brass ring.