Thread: Looking into a new monitor...

Looking into a new monitor...

I've come to realize that my little 16" CRT is not nearly large enough for using PS with all the windows and palletes so i'm looking into getting a new monitor. From what i've read, it looks like most are going with LCD's these days. I'm looking to spend around $400 for atleast a 20". EIZO and Apple Cinema's are out of the question. From what i've read, i've narrowed down to a couple choices, NEC 2070 and the DELL 20" ultrasharp. I was originally thinking Viewsonic, but after doing some reading, it appears that a lot of folks stay away from them. I'll just be using the monitor for PS work. What are some of the attributes to key in on. I think i have a pretty good idea of what to look for. I've also seen a new NEC 22" CRT for well under $200, should i still consider a CRT? Any other suggestions??

Adam

Re: Looking into a new monitor...

Adam,

As with anything else, you get what you pay for. And $400 isn't much for a 20"+ range LCD. Most cheap LCDs can't be calibrated worth a damn and their dynamic range is abysmal. I've seen both Dells and Necs and they each have their issues. If I were you, I would really go for Eizo, Apple or LaCie and forget about the rest, even if it costs a bit more.

I use the Dell 19" LCD and it has very good controls for calibration. The better monitors, meaning the much more expensive ones, have a wider angle of view than the cheaper ones like my Dell though. It just takes getting used to. If you are going to have clients sitting next to while you work, the wider angle of view is important.

One thing to remember is that the complete screen is used so a 19" screen really has a 19" viewing area unlike CRTs which require that you subtract an inch. Good luck.

If you a serious shooter doing ANYTHING with a computer then the monitor should be at or near the very top of your list of quality tools. Looking at content(like your own work) makes choosing a monitor a critical mission. I would rather save on the CPU and get the best monitor I could afford. Personally I swear by the new Apple Cinema Displays...

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Photomax View Post
    If you a serious shooter doing ANYTHING with a computer then the monitor should be at or near the very top of your list of quality tools. Looking at content(like your own work) makes choosing a monitor a critical mission. I would rather save on the CPU and get the best monitor I could afford. Personally I swear by the new Apple Cinema Displays...

Max
    I agree... the Apple Cinema Displays really "ROCK!"

Having said that... you still need a reasonable box though.

The LaCie and NEC monitors are pretty decent too.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

Abuser of God's Sunlight

I like a high end CRT more than all but the top-of-the-line LCDs. You might still be able to find a lightly used LaCie or Sony CRT for a very little money. It can hold you over until the price/performance of the LCDs gets a little more atractive.

The best monitor I've ever used is an Eizo. but second place is my LaCie electron blue iv (discounting the fact that it's starting to have problems!). I use an Apple cinnema display at work every day, and find it great for graphic design, but it's not my first choice for photography.

If you're running out of room for pallets, etc., a great economical solution is to use a second cheap-o monitor for that. You can get a 15" office quality LCD for not a lot, or the same sized ancient CRT for about $30. This setup can save you a lot of money ... you can get a top of the line 19 or 21 inch monitor for the same price as a medium high-end wide format one.