Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aeron chairs

Re: Aeron chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Boden View Post
    I'm sitting in one right now as I type, and I have a love hate relationship with these chairs. I've been using them for God knows how many years, and the truth is, I hate the chair. But with that said, I haven't found anything more comfortable yet, so I stick with it. I've always wished that they could make this exact same chair but with a softer cushion. After sitting in it for hours on end, my frickin' ass hurts. Also, the hard edge at the front sometimes bothers me, too.

I think what it comes down to is that I'm simply sitting in a chair way too much instead of out hiking around taking photographs. Time to do something about it!
    Mike,

If you want a really comfortable chair, one that you can sit in for hours on hours... visit Ethan Allen and look at either the Grant or Harvard office chairs in leather, tufted, of course! They have numerous grades of leather... select the one that feels like kit leather. It won't take as long to break in.

IIRC, when I bought mine back about 20 years ago it was called something else. I just took a look through their website and didn't see my version on it. Anyway, IMHO, it's a great chair.

But, YMMV!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

RE: the rubber exercise ball

A coworker of mine had one of these things in his cubicle for about six months. His boss made daily comments about his trying to hatch a giant blue egg, and then one day the thing exploded. The "hatching" really hurt this guy's tailbone. The company that made it was shocked that he used it as a chair. Use at your own risk.

Terence

John, that is hysterical. In my office we'd have been shooting paper clips and tacks at it all day.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Connell View Post

... The company that made it was shocked that he used it as a chair. Use at your own risk.
    if you're paranoid you can get ones rated to 700 pounds!

some hardguys use them in place of weightlifting benches.

Quote Originally Posted by John O'Connell View Post

A coworker of mine had one of these things in his cubicle for about six months. His boss made daily comments about his trying to hatch a giant blue egg, and then one day the thing exploded. The "hatching" really hurt this guy's tailbone. The company that made it was shocked that he used it as a chair. Use at your own risk.
    LOL!! you made my day!!

I purchased one for home about eight years ago. There are raised dots under the top back lip of the chair where the fabric marries up to the frame, where there are one, two or three raised dots, and I unfortunately cannot remember the significance of that coding. I think it referenced the size of the chair.

That said, one defect I experienced with the chair, happened to be with the sliding back support. It continually broke, so I quit replacing it. The chair's fabric loves to eat my nice cotton shirts and pants too. A great well made comfortable chair though...

jim k

QT:

I've had an Aeron for the last 6 years. I spend most of my day reading and researching on the computer; after 8-10 hours I hardly know I've been sitting. It has very good back support and breathes. Best investment I ever made (other than a really, really good mattress). Spend the extra $ and get the fully adjustable model if you'll be parked in the chair for significant periods of time. For one hour at a time, save the money for film.

Mike

Tuan, don't know if they still make them but another to considr is the Ekornes Stresless office chair; similar design to the Stresless recliner but for the office. I've bn sitting in one for nearly 20 years and can attest to its greatness.

Tuan -

I tried several different expensive chairs last year when I was shopping for a replacement chair for my home office. I was having serious trouble with the inexpensive chair I'd been using.

I didn't find the Aeron to be terribly comfortable, and ended up with the Steelcase Leap instead. It's not perfect, but it's vastly better than what I was using before, and I'm glad I made the investment.

YMMV, of course. What's most important is not to order a chair sight-unseen because of someone else's recommendation. You should find the local distributors for the high-end office lines, try a few different models for yourself, and find the best fit for you.