Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aeron chairs

Aeron chairs

Since as Kirk complained about, these days most of a photographer's time is spent sitting in a computer chair, I though this wouldn't be too off topic. I am thinking about a Herman Miller Aeron chair. Symbol of success, or of wasted dot-com money, exhibited at the MOMA, but is it actually comfortable or are there much better chairs in the same price range ? Anybody actually sat one of these and care to comment ?

Tuan.

Re: Aeron chairs

The Aeron is a fabulous chair to sit in at your desk and/or at a meeting. Looks cool too.

However, with my bad back, I find that sitting on one of those rubber workout balls keeps me from slouching. They sell these at the Back Store near MIT in Cambridge. YMMV.

Dave Karp

I have sat on one. It was very comfortable for me.

Considering the time versus productivity, we should all be spending the highest percentage of ourt gross on high performance chairs rather than high performance lenses, etc.

They and cats don't get along. The fabric is more fragile than a "hard" chair and it holds onto hair and dander. Rough children, pencils in your pocket, and other sharps are also dangerous.

Herman Miller (and many others) make great leather covered chairs too. Check out a Metropolis magazine and get an architect/designer friend to buy one for you.

QT, I have an Aaron chair at my work desk and I would not substitute it for another. Comfortable, fresh and moveable. I have no connection with the manufacturer or distributors. But when I get the chance to leave my chair and put my camera kit over my back, then such static considerations fade with great gladness!!

Scott Davis

Tuan-

as a full-time office slouch, I had the good fortune to spend a fair bit of time seated in an Aeron. It truly is about the best office chair you can get, short of something custom fitted. The desk chair I've got at my current job is not an Aeron, and quite frankly, it sucks. Just about anything else holds on to odors and stains, and doesn't adjust or cushion you the same way. About the only thing I can think of that would be better would be a huge cube of memory foam. But then I'd never get up out of it and just go to sleep all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MJSfoto1956 View Post
    However, with my bad back, I find that sitting on one of those rubber workout balls keeps me from slouching. They sell these at the Back Store near MIT in Cambridge. YMMV.
    A recent major study found that sitting upright is the worst thing for your back. Reclining leaning slightly slightly backward is best, followed (not so closely) by slouching leaning forward, and with sitting upright being absolute worst.

Quote Originally Posted by MJSfoto1956 View Post
    ...However, with my bad back, I find that sitting on one of those rubber workout balls keeps me from slouching. They sell these at the Back Store near MIT in Cambridge. YMMV.
    Can't help but remember the time I was in a RACE II project and visited another participant in his office in Switzerland. I thought his office looked strange and asked him if he did not have any chair. His colleague replied: "Well, Ralf usually sits on his balls!"

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    Since as Kirk complained about, these days most of a photographer's time is spent sitting in a computer chair, I though this wouldn't be too off topic. I am thinking about a Herman Miller Aeron chair. Symbol of success, or of wasted dot-com money, exhibited at the MOMA, but is it actually comfortable or are there much better chairs in the same price range ? Anybody actually sat one of these and care to comment ?
    I'm sitting in one right now. I've had this one for roughly eight years. My wife has one too. As does my brother and his business partner (a small boned woman with an "A" sized chair).

I've tried just about every chair on the market 12 or so years ago when I had major back trouble. I built a stand up desk and did programming on my feet for two years before the Aeron came out. The Aeron was the first chair that let me sit down again (my boss was so happy that he bought my first one). I'm not kidding when I say it's the most ergonomic chair on the market.

I know a few people with Aerons. A diverse and highly opinionated group. There is at least one topic on which we all vehemently agree though: "You can have my Aeron when you pry it off my cold dead ass." -- Anon.

And for the record, I don't have any connection of any kind with Herman Miller, other than owning some of their chairs.

Bruce Watson

Geos

I too have an Aeron, they're great. They come in three sizes and it is important that you get one sized for you body, or you won't be happy.