Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to attach a dark cloth?

How to attach a dark cloth?

I have been reluctant to mar the finish on my rosewood Wista with velcro tape, so I have always just draped my dark cloth over the camera body. This is not ideal. I'm wondering how others fix their dark cloth to the camera?

Re: How to attach a dark cloth?

Wista makes a darkcloth with Velcro and elastic. No need to add Velcro to your camera.

There is no need to attach it to the camera. I fold it in half over my shoulders and flip it over my head and the camera when I need to check the groundglass. The cloth has velcro strips on the edges, so that I can wrap it around the camera and attach it to itself when I need two hands free.

Hi Ralph,

I presently use a BlackJacket Dark Cloth (which I like very much- I use the hybrid for humid conditions; weighs 17 oz) which has a tightenable elastic cord to seal the cloth. I also have a BTZS (Beyond the Zone System) dark cloth that has elastic built into the cloth to hold the cloth in place. The original BlackJacket and the BTZS are lighter but, will not breath as well in humid conditions. I would use my BTZS Dark Cloth or possibly get the original BlackJacket for ultra low weight (about 8oz).

Here is the link for the BlackJacket:

http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FIL...SINGCLOTH.html

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

I don't recommend attaching your darkcloth to the camera. If a sudden wind where to gab the darkcloth it will sail. If the darkcloth is attached to itself or to you, the camera is fine. If attached to the camera, you camera will go sailing.

I use Acco binder clips from office supply stores. They come in a variety of sizes. To prevent metal to wood contact, you can glue felt to one of the jaws. You could also use velcro to attach the clips to the darkcloth so they don't get lost. Binder clips are also handy for other photographic applications, often much better than clothes pins.

I don't attach my dark cloth to my camera either---there's just too much of a chance that I'll unintentionally prove some aerodynamical theory if the wind kicks up.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Black t-shirts in the summer, heavy jackets in the winter. I also have some darkcloths kicking around but when the wind comes up I use my clothing. The weight of a jacket can be helpful.

If it is too nice to leave your head under the dark cloth you'll end up spending too long in the dark and probably overthink the shot. Seriously, I think this way.

Those tight elastic camera hugging BTZS and Blackjackets seem nice but don't ever buy one used on eBay. The one I got smelled like the previous owner's Brycreem. At least I hope it was only hair gel. Sweaty, nasty things they can be, and hard to deal with when you just want to pop open to check focus in a few seconds...

I made my own darkcloth, and added Velcro tape to both close it around the camera AND to close the edges together for several inches back from the camera. It essentially creates a short tube back from the GG to where I'm viewing.

I used some weird Velcro (or Velcro-like) stuff that has both parts -- the hooks and the loops -- in the same piece. Any part will stick to any other, since both pieces have both hooks and loops. It doesn't hold nearly as well (as the separate hooks and loops) but adequately, and since the hooks are recessed under the loop portion it doesn't snag on clothing and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    I don't recommend attaching your darkcloth to the camera. If a sudden wind where to gab the darkcloth it will sail. If the darkcloth is attached to itself or to you, the camera is fine. If attached to the camera, you camera will go sailing.
    Fully agree with Walter and John... I sure wouldn't attach it to my camera either. It's not worth the risk of seeing your camera "fly" off with the dark cloth.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!