Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Accessibility to the Eastern Sierras in Jan

Accessibility to the Eastern Sierras in Jan

Planning on driving up and down the 395 from jan 12-16..I'd like to shoot, Alabama Hills, Bristlecone Forest, Mono Lake, Convict Lake, Lundy Lake...and anything else I can find on a map...perhaps Whitney Portal but I doubt it. Will I be able to get to most of these locations in a 4x4 with Chains? Any actual locked gates I should worry about? And last but not least, cool camping spots and other locations I should shoot? I'd like to drive between Lone Pine and a little north of Mono Lake. I've gone backpacking and camping here plenty of times, just haven't had a chance to actually go out to shoot for the sake of shooting, so any suggestions are welcome!

Re: Accessibility to the Eastern Sierras in Jan

I doubt that Convict Lake, Lundy Lake or the Bristlecones would be accessible without skis (or a dog sled) That pass North of Mono Lake is often closed in the winter. The desert OTOH should be just fine--check out Death Valley while you're at it and for mountain scenery Mammoth and June Lake should be glorious, decked out in that white stuff.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

John,

To the best of my knowledge, with the exception of during nasty storms, 395 north of Mono Lake remains open in the winter. That is the common route for folks headed from Yosemite to get to Mono Lake in the winter. Admittedly, it is a long way that time of year to head west and north over Highway 50 or 80 and then south again on 395 from Reno to Mono Lake, but comparativly shorter than the southern route down around Bakersfield and north. The pass I believe you are referring to is the vista from the top of Conway Summit (just north of Mono Lake), which is superb, especially with a foggy Mono Lake basin.

John - I've never had skis before but maybe I can rent a pair for the time i'm out there. June lake is pretty nice, I just wanted to avoid the more touristy areas.

Just depends on the year. I've shot in the Bristlecones on January 6th one year and it was dry as a bone. Still the gate will be locked just past the main visitor parking lot, but that leaves plenty of good access below. You could have 3 feet of new snow then, or you could have zip.

Kieth,

You're correct about 395 being kept open in the winter, but I wanted dietcookie to be aware that sometimes it can be closed for fairly long times after winter storms. Checking with Caltrans is always a good idea---so is carrying a shovel, a sleeping bag and chains (even in a 4wd with snow tires)

dietcookie,

I don't want to discourage you from learning how to ski, but if thats not the purpose of your trip it is going to take away time from photography. You might enjoy checking out alternatives at Mammoth and June Lake. You can ride gondolas up to the top where many resorts have observation decks (and hot chocolate!) and you can find snowmobile concessions (Mammoth even has dog sleds IIRC) and snowshoe rentals. I think that during winter you can even drive to the end of the road to the hot springs at Mammoth (I forgot the name, its located near the pack station between the ski resort and Devil's Postpile) which should offer plenty of photo ops. The Tioga Pass resort is open in the winter but it is a ski-in (or rather ski-up) situation. You might contact the owners and tell them what you want to do see if they'll let you hitch a ride on a snowmobile when they bring in the groceries--but that would be a long shot (no pun intended)

It sounds like a fun trip--stay safe!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Check out Jim Stimson's website (just add .com to his name) for inspiration. He lives in Crowley Lake and has truly lyrical images of the east side and Mono Lake, year-round. And if the road is open, you might consider a trip to Eureka Dunes.

Jim - From the gate, good photo ops around or gotta do some exploring? I'll have to get a pair of snowshoes for this trip it seems.

John - Mammoth sounds awesome, I might have to swing by there for a day, possibly get a room for the last night. I'm going with two buddies and we are planning on pitching a tent a different place for every night, roughin it..slightly.

Keith - I'll check out the website when my boss isn't behind me! And Eureka Dunes sounds wonderful, I should swing by Death Valley.

So i'm going to need to get Snowshoes and most likely some sort of gameplan of locations I'd like to goto and backup locations. Any more suggestions on where to go would most definitely be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by dietcookie View Post
    Jim - From the gate, good photo ops around or gotta do some exploring? I'll have to get a pair of snowshoes for this trip it seems.
    Most of the BC photos you've seen are done this side of the locked gate.

The back road into DV from the Big Pine side past the dunes....is a bitch. Not too bad out to the dunes and back, but from there down to Scotty's is some of earths most challenging washboard. Miles of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Most of the BC photos you've seen are done this side of the locked gate.

The back road into DV from the Big Pine side past the dunes....is a bitch. Not too bad out to the dunes and back, but from there down to Scotty's is some of earths most challenging washboard. Miles of it.
    My plan was to get up before the sunrise, shoot...explore/hang out/get a beer/coffee then shoot before sunset...I'll probably shoot Alabama hills in the morning for one day and use the rest of the day to scout locations/hike in the BC area for photos, does that sound reasonable? I've never been.

Think my Tacoma 4x4 can handle the washes?