Thread: Pro's & Con's when using a 30 inch lens

Pro's & Con's when using a 30 inch lens

I am just wondering if any one of the 8x10 shooters out there in large format la nd uses a 30 incher. My question is not the quality of any particular lens , bu t rather , what shots do you use it for ?, how often do you use this glass brick ?, this lens is equivlent to 35mm as a 125mm lens , so does this 30 inch lens c ompress the field of perspective any ? , If at infinity , your tortured bellows now at 30 inch's , How many more inch's of pain is warranted for lets say a clos er up shot than infinity ? , In normal conditions is there a problem with camer a shake ? , with regards to all these questions let me refer to my lens and came ra, C3 Calumet , 34 inch bellows , a single coated "Red Dot Artar" in barrel.

Pro's & Con's when using a 30 inch lens

Dan: I shudder thinking of using a 30" lens for closeups. A 1 to 1 ratio closeup would require five feet of bellows extension. I have seen copy cameras with that much extension, but never one that was made for tripod use. Usually a 19-21 inch is used for closer work with 8x10. Vibration is definately a problem with a 30" lens. Saint Ansel suggested two tripods, one under the front of the bed to try and stabilize that mass. Cameras with a sliding tripod block, and I can't remember if the Calumet has one, might get away with one tripod unless it is windy. Nearly three feet of bellows will create quite an areas for the wind to act upon. This is not to say the 30" is not usable...it certainly is. The Artar is a good lens at all focal lengths and has beautiful contrast. I have a 19" Artar I love. Good shooting, Doug.