Thread: Silverfast Suprise

Silverfast Suprise

I have a negative that is overexposed and benefits from mulitple scanning. I have been using Silverfast SE Plus, which multiscans, but cannot save to a 16bit greyscale file. I take the raw output and finish processing it in Photoshop or PWP. I figured I would spend the $50 or so to upgrade to the AI version since it says it supports 16 bit. I assumed that as an upgrade to SE, it would contain all of the SE features. To my surprise, it does not contain all of the SE features and does not do multisampling. I suppose I should have downloaded the demo, but it never occured to me that it would be less capable than the program I was upgrading from. At this point I either have to spend another $59 to get AI Studio to get the features of both AI and SE, or just write it off as wasted money. Given that my main beef with Silverfast is the pricing policy for multiple scanners, it really annoys me to be caught in their upgrade trap.:-)

Silverfast Suprise

Get a refund!
    Juergen

Silverfast Suprise

Contact their customer support. I had a problem which they were able to resolve. They gave me the option of a refunt if I was not satisfied.

Silverfast Suprise

That should read refund in the above posting.

Silverfast Suprise

The Silverfast site is very clear on which versions support what, right from the home page.

www.silverfast.com/show/silverfast-multisampling/en.html

Also I have stated this a number of times too in various threads about multi-sampling. However I am sure they will give you a refund if you state your case.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Silverfast Suprise

My experience with Silverfast's customer service is quite good. They were very responsive and polite. I simply called them up.

Re: Silverfast Suprise

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    The Silverfast site is very clear on which versions support what, right from the home page.

www.silverfast.com/show/silverfast-multisampling/en.html

Also I have stated this a number of times too in various threads about multi-sampling. However I am sure they will give you a refund if you state your case.
    On the contrary, I've seen multi-sampling listed in there description of the straight Ai version and in a table comparing their 4 scanner versions, in different places on their US web site. They clearly state that Ai has multisampling in two places: http://silverfast.us/SilverFast_Ai/Description.html and
    http://silverfast.us/comparison.html
    I believe the truth is that Ai does NOT have multi-sampling.

Re: Silverfast Suprise

i've never found Silverfast to be terribly consistent across their different versions. We once got two identical scanners which were supposed to come with the same version of silverfast. Even though it had the same name, the two versions had different sets of options....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog