Thread: Summer and winter temperatures

Summer and winter temperatures

With the temperature the way it is currently and yesterday in the mid 40's I've decided to have a summer and winter set of temperatures for processing film.

I've settles on 20 for winter and 24 for summer as they seem the easiest to maintain.

Apart from the obvious softer emulsion at the higher temperature I haven't noticed any real image differences.

Is anyone doing similar and if so what are your observations?

Steve

Re: Summer and winter temperatures

All my working solutions and distilled water is in amber flint glass jugs sitting on shelf in the service porch, so everything is the same temperature. Whatever temperature my thermometer tells me it is is the temperture I go by. I think if I had to add hot or cold water to hit a 'target' temerature I'd go buggy. Of course I only do B&W so maybe I'm already buggy and I don't know it
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I keep a list of development times for the range of temps I experience and don't bother to adjust temp.

I'm with John and Ron. Don't forget to keep film tanks at the same temperature, too. I also store film wash water at darkroom temperature, and try to keep that temperature at a practical level.

Summer is for C41, winter is for D76.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)