Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, I'm listening

Ok, I'm listening

Folks, yes, I listened to buy an interim camera. My preference then is for a basic, straight-forward non-wooden one (meaning simple and easy to learn with). What's folks opinion and experience with the Horseman 45HD? It only has front controls and will only accommodate two of my lenses (Schneider 120mm HM and 180mm, but enough to start as some pummelled into my brain (and the photo synapses hurt too). There is one advertised here, and so is $1,100 a fair price in your experience?

Thanks, Scott.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

Re: Ok, I'm listening

In the $1100 range there are a few possibilities for a metal field camera. Check the websites of KEH Camera Brokers and Midwest Photo Exchange. Badger Graphics sometimes has good deals on lightly used cameras.

If I was in your situation I would be looking for a Toyo or a Wista.

or, for probably a bit more, a used Canham 45DLC?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

There are better choices. Between the limited, front-only movements, the limited bellows draw, and the small, cramped controls, I think the 45HD makes sense only if the combination of a folding metal camera and the lightest possible weight override all other considerations. If you don't mind the general features of the Horseman 4x5 technical camera design, the more versatile 45FA would be a much better choice. With a bit of patience you should be able to find a 45FA for $1100 or close to it.

Confidently Agnostic!

Shen hao! More movements than most folding field cameras, well built, and cheaper than the horseman. Wait, you don't want wood.

The metal Canham is an acquired taste IMO. It has a very distinctive character, and although some people love it, I wouldn't recommend it as a starter camera or a stopgap for use while you're waiting for a different model.

Scott, if you're really uncomfortable with the idea of a wooden camera, then at $1100 or so I'd look first at the Horseman 45FA, the Wista VX, or the Toyo 45A/AX/AII.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The metal Canham is an acquired taste IMO. It has a very distinctive character, and although some people love it, I wouldn't recommend it as a starter camera or a stopgap for use while you're waiting for a different model.

Scott, if you're really uncomfortable with the idea of a wooden camera, then at $1100 or so I'd look first at the Horseman 45FA, the Wista VX, or the Toyo 45A/AX/AII.

I was thinking of it in the context of someone waiting on a Layton....
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

You can get a new Toyo 45CF for much less. However, it does lack for movements, but would be a good camera to get your feet wet. I have a Toyo 45AII, which I love, but is a bit more expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by tim atherton View Post
    I was thinking of it in the context of someone waiting on a Layton....
    I don't know whether the quirks of the Layton are close enough to those of the metal Canham to make the latter especially good "training wheels" for the former. Time will tell...

Dave Karp

If you don't care about back movements, then a Super Graphic might be a good choice. If you want some back movements, the Wista or a Toyo 45A sound good.