Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Polaroid SprintScan 45 Ultra

Polaroid SprintScan 45 Ultra

I just bought an Epson V750, which turned out to be no better than my 4990. Since an Imacon is much too expensive, (and from what I can find out, only 2000 dpi at 4x5") I am now looking for a SprintScan 45 Ultra. It seems that some of the members here have got one, so I'd like to ask a few qestions about it.

1. What are the exact measurements of the 4 x 5 scan area? I have read that there is some cropping, but haven't been able to find out how much.

2. How long does a full 16-bit color scan take - 4x5 at 2571 dpi?

3. I assume this scanner will work with Windows XP?

4. And is anyone using it with Vista?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Polaroid SprintScan 45 Ultra

Hi Per:

I just took delivery on one today, so can give you some initial impressions after (if???) I get it up and running. Have the scsi card and cable, just need to find the adapter to convert from new thin scsi on the card to 25 pin old scsi on the cable... FWIW, it did come with a copy of Silverfast AI 5 I'll be running it on Win XP -- I don't enjoy running scsi though, so I wish the USB or Firewire to scsi converters worked better in bi-directional applications.
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

So it won't work with Firewire?

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Hohenstein View Post
    So it won't work with Firewire?
    The scanner only has a scsi interface...

I have heard that USB to scsi adapters (and I assume firewire to scsi) are not reliable in heavy bi-directional applications, but have never tried any of them... I have a scsi card and the proper cable, so trying on of the adapters is not high on my priority list unless somebody tells me they work great
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Doug Dolde

There is a brand new one on Ebay for $1000.00. But I know I still wouldn't be satisfied over my 4990. Better yes...but not good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    But I know I still wouldn't be satisfied over my 4990. Better yes...but not good enough.
    LOLOL! Well I'm hoping for an entire step better than my 4990...

Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Hi Per:

I just took delivery on one today, so can give you some initial impressions after (if???) I get it up and running.
    Jack,

I look forward to reading your impressions, and hope you can take the time to measure the 4 x 5 scannning area. Thanks.

The scanner only has a scsi interface...

I have heard that USB to scsi adapters (and I assume firewire to scsi) are not reliable in heavy bi-directional applications, but have never tried any of them... I have a scsi card and the proper cable, so trying on of the adapters is not high on my priority list unless somebody tells me they work great
    I cannot imagine why you'd want to use USB anyway. SCSI's way faster. Crazy. It's such an old standard now... but still (more or less, apart from SATA maybe) the one to beat (well, perhaps not SCSI 1 - but even that's faster than USB)

Quote Originally Posted by Per Berntsen View Post
    Jack,

I look forward to reading your impressions, and hope you can take the time to measure the 4 x 5 scannning area. Thanks.
    The scanning area cutout on the 4x5 holder is 93mm x 113mm -- on my negs, the 93mm dimension is just inside the borders, so no big deal there for anybody. The 113 slot requires me to choose where to trim about 6mm off either/both sides. Not a big issue for me since I tend to shoot a little loose anyway, but could be a serious issue if you compose to the edge...

I will say it does look like one could easily remove 3mm frrm each side of that holder and still have ample support, but I have no idea how that would affect the scan. Also, the MF holders are templates that mount inside the 4x5 slot...
    Jack Flesher

www.getdpi.com

The scanning area cutout on the 4x5 holder is 93mm x 113mm -- on my negs, the 93mm dimension is just inside the borders, so no big deal there for anybody. The 113 slot requires me to choose where to trim about 6mm off either/both sides. Not a big issue for me since I tend to shoot a little loose anyway, but could be a serious issue if you compose to the edge...

I will say it does look like one could easily remove 3mm frrm each side of that holder and still have ample support, but I have no idea how that would affect the scan. Also, the MF holders are templates that mount inside the 4x5 slot...
    Thanks a lot, Jack - I really appreciate you doing this. 113 mm also happens to be the effective opening of my enlarger's negative carrier, so I probably won't have to modify the holder. (edges of digital prints will have to match edges of previous analog prints)

Reading your post, I get the impression that there is some space to move the film on the lower part of the holder - can you move it so far (in all 4 directions) that you get a strip of clear film inside the scanning area on the opposite side? Hope you understand what I mean here!
    (This is all about being able to produce prints whose image area excactly matches prints I've made in the darkroom)