Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good backpack for 4x5 field work?

Re: Good backpack for 4x5 field work?

I found a Pelican 1510 hardcase with rollers that is sized for US Airlines Carry-on regulations. Of course it is a bitch in the backcountry (wheels are too small, they get gobbed up with mud) but you can put all your fragile stuff in there -- with wraps and pads -- and repack into a backpack on location. The advantage is that should the airline decide that your "legal" carry-on is still too large (especially on smaller planes) at least the Pelican can be securely checked at the gate (where they tend not to man-handle it as bad as general luggage) and your gear will survive.

Wel, I am also on my way looking for a bckapck that would hold rather light 4x5 gear (Tachihara, 2 - 3 lenses, 10 filmholder, small stuff, Tripod with size of Gitzo G1227). Led me add a couple of questions:

1) I got interested in the backapck from the www.kgear.com called Journeyman P450. Are there any users of this backpack around?

2) How convenient do you find (on ANY backpack) when the tripod is attached not on the side of the backapck, but in the middle ob the rear part of the backpack.

3) COncerning the Kelty backpacks - how do you attach the tripod? (not too many pics on the website)

4) If you have to check-in your gear- whatever way you pack it - do you have it insured separately (how, where)? I do not have experience on this, but the travel company will be probably not willing to pay a coupe of thousands for it once it gets lost.

Matus

Hi Matus,

Kinesis Gear makes some very good equipment. However, I have not had the opportunity to use their Backpacks.

I had a custom made pack for backpacking and carrying my camera equipment by McHale Packs. This is a Panel Loading Pack. They are custom made for size, materials, color, your proportions, etc. Unfortunately MacHale only makes about 200 packs a year, requires sizing, takes a bit of time, they will not ship outside of the US and Canada, and they are very costly.

My McHale Pack is made of a combination of 420 High Tenacity Nylon and Full Spectra fabric. The Pack has a 5000 Cubic Inch Main Compartment and I had an extra Pocket added on the side for carrying a 42 oz Nalgene Water Cantene. The Tripod in a case straps to the side of the pack and into one of the water holders. The pack weight is about 5.5 pounds and has the McHale Critical Mass Harness suspension system and the Bypass Shoulder Harness. These are some of the most comfortable suspension systems and harnesses available. They allow carrying weights of 60+ pounds comfortably.

Here is the link to the pack:

http://www.mchalepacks.com/packs/detail/CMSARC.htm

The pack is similar to mine, but mine has the extra pocket, and is all in gray with Full Spectra fabric shoulder harness and Pack bottom (which runs about 8 inches up the side), with black trim and webbing as well as the waist harness.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

I think carrying the tripod off the back side of the pack is about the worst way to carry one. One of the basic concepts of a good backpack is keeping the weight as close to your body as possible. The tripod is the heaviest piece of equiptment I carry, and the last thing I want is to have it 12 inches off my back. I have generally carried it vertically, inside the main compartment of my pack. the next best thing is strapped to the outside, top being the best as long as it does not interfere with getting into the pack. I have also carried it strapped to the side, but this is somewhat unbalanced.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

The tripod is carried vertically and the weight on my McHale pack (about 5 + pounds for tripod, head and case) is largely offset by carrying the 42 oz of water on the other side of the pack as well as the 32 oz water bottle at the bottom of the pack in water bottle holder to keep the weight balanced. I could strap the tripod behind, but this will interfere with the rear pocket and the possiblility of anything strapped to the rear of the pack.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge

http://www.nelridge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    Wel, I am also on my way looking for a bckapck that would hold rather light 4x5 gear (Tachihara, 2 - 3 lenses, 10 filmholder, small stuff, Tripod with size of Gitzo G1227). Led me add a couple of questions:

1) I got interested in the backapck from the www.kgear.com called Journeyman P450. Are there any users of this backpack around?

2) How convenient do you find (on ANY backpack) when the tripod is attached not on the side of the backapck, but in the middle ob the rear part of the backpack.

3) COncerning the Kelty backpacks - how do you attach the tripod? (not too many pics on the website)

4) If you have to check-in your gear- whatever way you pack it - do you have it insured separately (how, where)? I do not have experience on this, but the travel company will be probably not willing to pay a coupe of thousands for it once it gets lost.

Matus
    I have the Kelty Coyote, which is a bit bigger than some of the other models, 4750 cubic inches. There is a daisy chain up the center to which a couple of bungie cords could be easily attached to hold the tripod, but I have a Gitzo 2770 with a 1 lb head, so I just carry it in my hand.

I have attached a tripod to the center and the sides. If on the side the load must be balanced. If in the center it must be cinched down tight so it doesn't rock from side to side as you walk.

Make sure you try on several packs loaded with your equipment to assure that you get a good fit.

- naturephoto1 -

thanks for the link. McHale backpacks look interesting, but are definitely out of my price range.

- drralph -

I ageree with you concerning the back-mounted tripod. But I can hardly imagine to put my tripod (75cm with ballhead) horizontally. To put it inside the backpack - it's too long for it. I am looking for middle sized backpack. To Carry the tripod on the side causes easily bad ballance - especially as the bottel with water is getting empty during the trip.

..If I would have time for it (as I do not have - I am supposed to finish my PhD in half a year) I would consider to make one myself out of older backpacks hanging around...

- Ron Marshall -

I am in rather unlucky position - I am located in Germany and none of the packs I am aware of (dedicated photo backpacks or normal ones) does fullfill my idea about a photo backpack. But buying blindly overrr the webpage is dangerous, I know.

thanks

M..

Hello Matus,

On my LowePro there is a fold out tripod holder, and two different position cords to secure the tripod. I didn't know how to properly use it at first, so I hd the tripod with the 3047 head pointed upwards. That caused it to rock and move around as I walked. Then I tried it upside down, with the 3047 head in the holder on the bag, and suddenly it was stable. This positions it in the middle back of the bag.

I agree with you on the side mount, since there is often room for other things you want to place there. With the LowePro system, there are many Slip Lock bags and carriers that fit onto most of their backpacks. I have a few of those currently.

The other thing I do in an urban environment, or when going to a more local paid shoot, is carry the tripod on a strap made for it. I can then carry it like a bag, or sling it across my should, or even across the front of my body. While this is not as easy as attaching it to the bag, carrying the tripod separately makes moving around in crowded situations much easier.

If you want to go into the wilderness, and carry many non-photographic items, then get a pack that has some sort of external frame. You can always get a photo backpack too, and put that into a larger wilderness backpack, though it might be a bit more weight than necessary.

With airlines, you can get a separate insurance policy, though it is something that usually only professionals will get. The problem is that premiums are annual, so I don't know of any you can get on a per-trip basis; this is not like travel insurance. My advise is not to check gear that is expensive or could be broken. I pack my tripod into my checked luggage, though I partially disassemble it by removing the handles from the head, and pulling the centre column out of the legs.

If you find you have more gear you want to carry than you can have in carry-on luggage, then consider using a separate shipping company. You might find that FedEx, DHL, or some other carrier would be a better solution than checking expensive items. This is also one way you can insure gear on a per-flight basis.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Well I confess to not reading all the above posts, but here's my 2¢ if you're interested in camping-style backpacking.

I have all my camera gear (except tripod) nicely organized in a LowePro OmniPro soft case. It's one of those rectangular cases with all the little dividers inside. I carry that inside of a real backpacking pack. This one in particular is my dream pack: http://www.mchalepacks.com/packs/detail/CMSARC.htm

I'm with Jack... I haven't read All the other posts but... I use a Kelty RedWing backpack. I chose this model after visiting Many stores with tripod in hand and this was the easiest to cary a tripod. I slip one leg under the side pocket and it rests in the mesh pocket below. Two straps wrap around the tripod to hold it Very securely. The camera gear just dumps in the main compartment of the pack in it's camera bag... It's quick and easy... I'm out the door in 3 minutes! The pack just happens to have other feature I like, a great removable hip belt and a drink system slot. I avoided the "photo backpacks" because there wasn't room for hiking necessities like... food, water and extra clothing.
    Dave