Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Good backpack for 4x5 field work?

Re: Good backpack for 4x5 field work?

My new Kinesis system just arrived, and have had a chance to play with it a bit, and thought I would report back.

The build quality is excellent, and I really like the feel of the materials. The belt system is just what I hoped it would be, and will provide a compact and highly functional way to carry my Mamiya 7 body and four lenses, and have all within reach while walking around.

The lens cases are larger than they need to be for my purposes, even though I bought the "small" size. I plan to write Kinesis to suggest an even smaller lens case.

The Journeyman pack is just the right size, and very comfortable as well. I may get a second belt, as swapping the belt between my Mamiya setup and the Journeyman, which I plan to use for my LF gear, will be a bit of a pain.

I am still in the fitting out stage, and haven't yet taken it out into the field. That will be my fun for next week!

Ralph

I use a day pack for my 4x5 Toko. It carries the camera, 4 lenses, filters, small repair kit, 6 film holders and T-shirt dark cloth. It opens fully down the front providing easy access to everything. Lightweight, $35 and now about 15 years old. Can't beat it. The money I save from not buying a "Photo Backpack" goes toward film, etc.

I like the Tamrac series. I have five of them for various uses, including the Summit 777 and 787 for my 4x5. They're relatively light, sturdy and, most important, comfortable for long treks.