Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gitzo 1570M head with 8x10 problem

Gitzo 1570M head with 8x10 problem

After doing some research in the forum, I recently purchased a Gitzo 1570M head to use with my Zone VI 8x10, which is the first 8x10 I've ever had. The first time I used the setup I became frustrated with how hard it was to unscrew the camera from the head in order to walk around with the gear. I looked into getting a quick-release, which I'm used to using with a 4x5, but feel like that little piece of metal between the camera and head will create a very unsturdy and flexible situation.
    Is it possible, and reasonable, to use a quick-release with an 8x10, and if so, does anybody know the best one to use with the Gitzo 1570, or is the awkward and laborious carrying of the camera connected to the tripod just something I have to deal with? My camera has a single 3/8" hole in the center.
    I didn't get an 8x10 to make things easier, but I hope that there is a better way to support and keep the camera relatively still. Thanks for any advice.
    -Jon

Scott Davis

Re: Gitzo 1570M head with 8x10 problem

If you want a quick-release system, the 1570m head is not for you. The idea of the 1570m is to give you the maximum, stable platform on which to mount your camera. I have the exact same setup- a Zone VI Ultralight 8x10 mounted on a Gitzo 1570m low-profile head. While unscrewing it is not an instant process, I don't find it arduous to mount or unmount the camera. If you would like to try a substitute that would have some kind of quick-release mechanism, you can try one of the big bogen/manfrotto geared heads, but the advantage you may gain from the quick release may be more than offset by the weight gain from the bigger, heavier head. With an 8x10, the problem is that the camera is big enough and heavy enough that it is easy for it to torque itself off the mounting screw for the Q/R plate. You also have a much smaller contact patch between the camera and the head, making vibration easier to transmit from the tripod to the camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jonathan smith View Post
    The first time I used the setup I became frustrated with how hard it was to unscrew the camera from the head in order to walk around with the gear. -Jon
    Jon,
    I use this head as well, but on a Miller tripod. I don't take the 810 off, I just carry it on the tripod, if I am going relatively short distances. I would not use a QR with the 810 camera, for all of the reasons already well stated!

Cheers,
    Geary

I don't recommend quick release for 8x10. As Scott says you want large acreage between the camera and the tripod. I don't have your Gitzo head, I use a Ries head instead. Once the camera is mounted to the Ries head I can carry the camera and tripod together with little worry.

Best of luck.

This is a common problem and the solution is so simple that people go "why did I not think of that?"....Instead of trying to screw the camera with the platform in horizonatl position, tilt the platform until it is vertical, screwing the camera is very simple then. I do it with my 8x10 and 12x20 in no time this way....good luck!

The problem is deceptively simple to solve, but it took me I don't know how long to do what Jorge just described. The head is stable and light used alone without other attachments.

I have this head as well, and do exactly what Jorge suggests, particularly when I'm using it with my 11x14" flatbed.

Another vote for Jorge's approach. I have Gitzo 3- and 5-series low-profile heads which I use with large flatbed view cameras, and in most situations, flipping the head up at least 45 degrees makes mounting and releasing the camera much easier.

reviving this thread...

I want to set up a QR system on the 1570m so that I can use medium format rigs on my head when I am not shooting 8x10. I want to avoid having to buy another ball head and be switching heads on and off my legs whenever I decided what I am going to shoot.

Any recommendations for this?

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    reviving this thread...

I want to set up a QR system on the 1570m so that I can use medium format rigs on my head when I am not shooting 8x10. I want to avoid having to buy another ball head and be switching heads on and off my legs whenever I decided what I am going to shoot.

Any recommendations for this?
    Buy a QR clamp that fits all of your plates, and affix it to the Gitzo head.
    It may be tricky, as the platform on the Gitzo is large, and you'll need to be sure to have enough clearance so as to be able to loosen/tighten the clamp easily.
    Make sure the clamp's tightening knob extends out from the Gitzo's platform.
    But read post #2 again.