Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: barter for access?

barter for access?

Hi everyone.

I need some advice. I'm something of a new guy at this, so if any of this seems elementary, my apologies in advance.

For my current photo project, I need to take many photos of L.A.'s freeways, from above (like from a parking garage or office building). I contacted the manager of a particular mall here in LA to ask about getting a couple of hours access on the top floor of his mall's garage early one weekend morning, because they have a great view of the 405 freeway. He suggested we barter for access. His barter was: 3 months unlimited access for "general photos" of the mall, to be hung in their corporate offices.

How do I approach this? Have any of you ever bartered photos for access? I'm a little leery of this arrangement, since I don't really need 3 months' access and I'm holding down a day job, with little enough time to devote to my own projects. I suppose it comes down to how badly I want my photos from the garage, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Matt Logue
    www.mlogue.com

Re: barter for access?

It would hinge on what size prints does he expect and how much will it cost you. Remember, there is NO value to you, whatsoever, in having your prints hung on his walls.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I'd shoot the 405 (and other freeways) from a bridge, like the one at the top of the Sepulveda Pass, before I'd make that bargain if you are asking for nothing more than permission to park your car and set up a tripod. If you asked them to do something, like move a sign, block off a large area, provide security, etc, then I'd say go ahead with the bargain. I have no problem with offering free prints to people/companies when shooting their buildings/premises, but get really annoyed with people who try to get something for nothing. Keep looking for locations; notice where the news trucks shoot from!

p.s. you didn't show him your web site, did you? If you did, I understand why he wants prints. Nice work!

If you don't need him as an on going client. Get a firm idea of what size prints he wants and how many. Scale the trade down to what fits your needs. Don't give him reproduction rights. Get your work done first......then do his. Get his large prints done at Costco (Snapfish). They are cheap and will look good (if your files are good) but fade under the UV of the flourescents in the office within a year and a half or two years. If he comes back for reprints, jack up the cost to cover your initial investment of time and materials.

Seriously, do what you have to do to get access, but don't give up perpetual use of the images you create for him by giving him non-archival prints. That is a fair trade since you do not know how valuable your personal images will be.

Nice work on the website by the way.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk, you're a genius. I was about to suggest lighting a small trash can fire on the lower level of the parking structure to distract the security guads while he shoots from the roof. Your idea is much more civilized. I love the "disappearing print" trick!

Thanks everyone for the quick replies (and kind words)! I got a hinky feeling about the whole arrangement; I think I'll give it a pass until I absolutely need it. Your advice was helpful.

Thanks again
    Matt

I don't see anything bad in his proposal at all. He gives you 3 months of access (generously, so that you have the impression of getting more than you asked for) for a simple gift of "general" photos. I would give him 3 nice pictures - maybe he would ask you for more of them later, paid. I sometimes give my clients pictures for the price of film only! It never failed - they call me later then for more and I have more work for normal money after. Still they think I'm kind, it's never forced. I think you maybe misunderstand the guy.

Hmmm... I see a window of opportunity here. Imagine having the use of a shopping mall in which to hone your architectural skills? For the price of a few prints from Costco---ugh-- or wherever you can add the fact that your prints are in the private collection of "X" Corporation to your resume and you'll have dupes to add to your portfolio. The corporation may likely have other malls they wish to shoot and the potential for you could be lucerative so give them your best effort. Thats what I'd do anyway (unless of course they wanted a dozen free 20x24 cibachromes!)

Go for it, Dude!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

With all due respect to everyone, I would not get into using cheap tricks as a basis for trade. That is not good any way you look at it. I would, however, sit down one on one with the manager and become very clear on what the gentleman's expectations are in the way of prints/framing. Then, figure your cost of producing your best possible work product. Then, and only then, make your decision on what it is worth to you. Your reputation will be enhanced by either submitting high end prints, or by passing if cost is too expensive. I would also obtain his written permission for the access along with a property release for your future security. The consideration for the release is your delivered prints, nothing else. You are selling yourself, and you are expecting nothing from him in return. Hey, I am going to be in LA week after next, what mall center is this??? :-)

I'm not sure, but here's my guess..drive North on I-405 to "The Valley". As you are going through the construction site they call the 405-101 interchange, look to the right. What use to be the "Valley Girl" mall is now a glorified food court - gym, movie theater, and a number of decent restaurants. Again, this is just me guess. fer sure