Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotmeter - the first and only one.

Spotmeter - the first and only one.

Hello,

I do like to use my Minotla 7D as a lightmeter for my Tachihara, but sometimes it is too much gear to be carried along for a trip or I have to keep hanging it on my neck during the shooting.

So - I started to think of a spotmeter - I have in mind some 1 degree spotmeter. If there would be an option of incident meter - I would not mind - but these tend to be rather large and expensive. If I would decide to go only with incident spotmeter, I would probably choose Gossen Digisix.

So what am I after: - spotmeter which shows the measured value in the viewfinder, is reliable and does not cost a fortune and possibly is not too heavy/large (if there is one). I could probably go for a Pentax Digital Spotmeter, but these go used for above $200.

What would be your advice - and why?

Just to mention - I shoot both positive and negative films with both positive and negative results.

Thanks

Matus

Hannover, Germany and Bratislava, Slovakia

Re: Spotmeter - the first and only one.

I would only buy a lightmeter that can do all; i.e. both incident and spot metering with a possibility of flash metering. You only want to carry one lightmeter with you. I would only consider one of the higher line Seconic meters. If possible, I prefer to use incident metering because I find it more reliable (in non extreme contrast conditions). Before I used almost exclusively spot metering and I learned the tricks, but with LF, you wanna be sure that both options are available to you in the field, hence the choice of a meter that can do both.

I am too slow to figure out all the buttons on most meters. The Pentax Digital Spotmeter is absolutely simple and bulletproof -- very robust -- well worth the extra money that it costs. It will last a lifetime. No (modern) Gossen or Sekonic will.

Well, while I totally agree on both the ease of use and the robustness of the Pentax Digital Spot it won't do what the OP asked, display all the info. BTW, my Pentax Digital Spot is somewhere around 20 years old and goings strong after much abuse ... been repaired once by Richard Ritter and that was only some loose wiring.

Back to Matus' question I see only two options (maybe a third) that don't climb into the price stratosphere. First, a used Gossen Ultraspot (first edition not the II model), a truly great meter whose only drawback is that it is larger than some 35mm cameras ... you see them on eBay on the 200 range. Second, a new Soligor with a house brand like Adorama or one of these used. Third one of the other off brand meters that are made in Russia.

There are others that are in the under 200 range but like the Pentax Digital you won't get a digital readout while holding the meter to your eye. FWIW, I use both the Pentax Digital with only the EI readout visable and the Sekonic L-778 which has a full readout. Frankly I don't pay much attention to the readout in the window of the Sekonic but after taking the reading tend to look at the numbers on the meter once I have taken it from my eye.

While it's outside the price range. Anybody seen the new Sekonic 758DR? Claims to toast bread in addition to everything else.

Thanks for all your advices.

By the "display" in the viewfinder I did not make myslef clear - the EI information would be enough - just to be able to compare different parts of the scene without taking eye from the viewfinder.

What about minotla spotmeters?

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    So what am I after: - spotmeter which shows the measured value in the viewfinder, is reliable and does not cost a fortune and possibly is not too heavy/large (if there is one). I could probably go for a Pentax Digital Spotmeter, but these go used for above $200.

What would be your advice - and why?
    My advice is to pay the extra for the Pentax Digital Spotmeter, then send it to Calumet for the Zone VI modifications.

That's what I'm using. It's a simple, elegant solution. I hit my exposures right on the money probably 99.5% of the time and this meter is largely why. It's so consistent and reliable that I no longer burn a second sheet of film. I don't bracket. It's more than paid for itself just in film and processing savings.

It's so good it just becomes automatic. You don't have to think about it, it just works. And this allows you to give more concentration to making your art. And that is the real reason to use it.

Bruce Watson

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_3536 View Post
    While it's outside the price range. Anybody seen the new Sekonic 758DR? Claims to toast bread in addition to everything else.
    Holey Smokes! And all this time I thought my 558R would make toast... all I get is warm bread in comparison!

Another vote for the Pentax digital spotmeter. I was hesitant to spend so much money but I have never regretted the purchase. I appreciate its ease of use every time I use it.

Eric Biggerstaff

Matus,

Here is another vote for the Pentax digital spot, very simple to use and accurate. There is also the elegant little Pocket Spot from Metered Light, but they can take a while to get and you won't be able to find one used.

The downside is you will likely spend more than the $200 budget, the upside is that if you don't like the meter you will be able to resell it for what you paid ( and maybe a little more) on an auction site.

Good luck.
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com