Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal tripod head for both large format and 35mm

Re: Ideal tripod head for both large format and 35mm

For my money, you can't beat a Markins. I use mine for both 35mm and 8 x 10 and it holds both perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    I absolutely do not like the RRS BH55. I bought one because of all the hype but sold it off for an Arca Swiss B1.

Don't believe the hype.
    What was the hype that we shouldn't believe? I'm curious because last month I did the opposite of what you did. I sold my Arca Swiss B1 and replaced it with the RRS BH50 (which I believe is the smaller version of the 55). So far I like the BH50 very much though I've been using it with a heavy digital camera rather than LF. I sold the B1 for three reasons - it was heavier, it broke twice and had to be sent in for repairs at a cost of about $150 (once a part fell off on the first day of a week-long photography trip rendering the head useless, just a few months ago the tension adjuster stopped working and had to be replaced), and of course there was the well-known "freeze up" problem that also ruined a trip the first time it happened. After that I learned to keep a wrench in the car so I could fix it. In usage I don't see a whole lot of difference between it and the BH50 except I'm hoping the BH50 will be more reliable, it's lighter, and the clamp is easier to use than the B1 knob.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

My equipment in 35mm goes up to a 600 F4 lens and my 4 X 5 stuff is Sinar F1 and F2. I also do a lot of macro in 35mm and didn't want to carry two or three heads. It was suggested that I carry both a gimbel head and ball head. I settled on a Arca Swiss B1G which handles all of them with no problem. As far as the lock up problem with the Arca Swiss, I've owned three of them including the B1, and B1G and never had a problem with any of them.

I use Bogen/Manfrotto 3021N legs with a 3047 head. The only difference in using a 35mm camera on that instead of my 4x5, is that the 35mm gear gets a 1/4-20 threaded hex plate, while the 4x5 uses a 3/8 threaded hex plate. This is not a light tripod and head combination.

I also have some clamp pods, a minipod, and a monopod that I would not even think about using with a 4x5. Those all work nicely with smaller 35mm gear, but are not sturdy enough to handle a 4x5.

As a really odd item, I have considered getting a Fig Rig to mount my 4x5, then use that for hand held shots. While this would be an odd way to work, some recent fashion and lifestyle shots I have been doing are getting me to think more about such a set-up.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

It really comes down to whether you like ball heads or 3-axis heads. While I loved the build quality of the Arca B1 ball, once you get beyond a light field camera it becomes harder to put the camera exactly where you want it, especially when you are lining up architectural edges. For 35mm and landscape it works great though.

The other factor is durability, especially for air travel with the tripod in checked baggage. The Arca is very nice in this respect, provided you use a padded head cover, as the knobs are small and less likely to get wacked off or bent. For the Gitzos I remove the long handles and they are very durable. The Bogen 410 I had seemed like it would be the most fragile and subject to dirt/grime getting into the gears...

Jim,

You are the first one I've come across that uses the Tiltall for both formats like I do. I've been doing that for 30+ years as well but had to get a new one a couple of years ago. I also got a Calumet tripod mostly so I could take some very low shots.

Bill

"The Bogen 410 I had seemed like it would be the most fragile and subject to dirt/grime getting into the gears..."

I've been using a 410 for about three years. So far its held up very well, no dirt or grime in the gears and no other problems.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Doug Dolde

Funny but I thought the BH55 was harder to adjust than the Arca B1. What I really want is one of those new Arca heads with the twist ring instead of a knob. Hope they become available soon.

Bogen 329RC4
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

It's been awhile but for a number of years I also used a Tiltall for both formats. It was in the 70's and it was the only tripod I owned that weighed less than 20 lbs. so I made do but in retrospect it did ok.