Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal tripod head for both large format and 35mm

Ideal tripod head for both large format and 35mm

If you are traveling with both a large format and a 35mm camera, what is your preferred tripod head?

Re: Ideal tripod head for both large format and 35mm

I think more importantly it is what you are photographing. Not what camera you are using (of course the weight of the camera plays a role though). My ideal head for photographing landscapes is the geared Bogen 410. I use it for nearly all my landscape shots from 5x7 to P&S digital. However, if I'm photographing animals it's a bit too slow and not as flexible as a ball-head.

Also, given that it is a heavier head on a heavier tripod, I will sacrifice its precision and user-friendliness for a lightweight tripod/ball-head setup if I am just out walking through the woods with the 35mm. While it's nice to have a lighter tripod setup, I almost always wish I had the geared head and the bigger tripod.

Really Right Stuff BH-55.

Taking only weight into consideration, I assume the only tripod for an LF camera is a LF camera tripod. There is no compromise possible, unless you want to risk your LF camera. You can pretty much use any LF camera tripod for 35mm - as long as the screw post fits.

Doug Dolde

I absolutely do not like the RRS BH55. I bought one because of all the hype but sold it off for an Arca Swiss B1.

Don't believe the hype.

Since turning into a Sinar junkie I use their pan-tilt head with an adapter for smaller formats that allows yaw movements. It looks strange and is very tall, but I only use a little dSLR with a short lens so I don't need the last word in rigidity when I am not using large format.

It is a great head though, small, robust handles yet very strong, firm, smooth...

If not using a Sinar I think I would go with the Gitzo 3-way low profile magnesium heads, like the #3 series. I'd stick an RRS/Arca clamp up there if I had a lot of cameras but if you only use 2 or 3 cameras the original thumbwheeled Gitzo screws work pretty darn well.

I used to swear by an Arca B1 and their plate system. Then I stopped drinking the Kool-Aid. It is good but far from perfect, it is more of a trend/status symbol than anything else IMHO.

Doug Dolde

Frank I bet you never drank any acid Koolaid.

Dave Karp

Depends on the LF camera. For my Walker Titan SF, Mamiya 645 and 35mm stuff, I use a lowly Manfrotto 3028 three way head, paired with a RRS arca adapter. It is inexpensive, lightweight, plenty sturdy for these cameras, and has large ratcheted handles that make it very easy to adjust the camera and lock it into place.

For my monorail, I use an older version Gitzo Rationelle 3 way head that is very rigid. I have used it with all of my cameras and it works well.

For travel the Acratech is light and compact and strong enough to handle a 4x5.

My handiest tripod for 35mm and 4x5 is a Tiltall. It has been absolutely reliable for over 30 years. I sometimes use a B&J indoors for 4x5, and rarely a big Davis & Sanford for really big glass.