Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clearly a Scam ... anybody else get this?

Clearly a Scam ... anybody else get this?

Gre is the email I got today:

Hello,

I came across your advert and e-mail on the internet, while i was in search of the best photograper for my daughter's wedding. i am impressed with your service and that is why i'm contacting you to know if you will be available for the wedding.

My name is HANSON DAVID, I am a business man, and i reside in the United Kingdom. My daughter will be getting married in the United State Of American, on the 29th January 2007, and i have being sadled with the job of getting a photographer for the wedding.

The type of package that i want for the wedding is as follows:

150 copies coloured photos from the church to the reception, which will include photos of both the bride and the bridegroom, thier parents, the officiating ministers and our guest.You are to work at most 6hours(10am - 4pm).

Please i want the best service from you, because she is my only daugher and i want the best for her on her D-Day, so your best effort is needed at the occasion.

Kindly get back to me with the total cost of the type of package i requested for, including the transportation cost to the venue of the wedding. i will be looking forward to your response.

Best Regards

HANSON DAVID

As far as I can tell it is absolutely a scam of some sort. 1) he wants total costs including transportation but doesn't give a location. 2) he says he lives in the UK and the email comes from a Yahoo India address with a return going through a Hungry server. Curious if anyone else got this one and what the ventual angle is ... not interested in pursuing it to find out but wonder if anyone else has.

Re: Clearly a Scam ... anybody else get this?

No, not received. Sounds nutty to me, not worth a reply.

At best a scam, at worst a lunatic.

Several wedding photographers have been targeted in the past. He would send you more than the amount you quote and ask you to forward the excess to a third party to cover wedding costs. After a while you would find out that his payment was fraudulent and you are out of the money you forwarded to the third party.

QT, figured it was somethinglike that. He seems to ahve broadened his sope in targeting photographers since I am not listed anywhere that I know of as a wedding photographer .... in fact have only shot one wedding in the past 50 years.

I got one those emails today. I am not a wedding photographer either Ted.

lee\c

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

I've gotten quite a few of these e-mails over the past few months. What gets me is that I'm obviously not a wedding photographer, and I don't have a single picture of a person on my website! Apparently, they pay with a fradulent check or wire transfer for much more than the cost of the service, than have you send them the diffference, which they take to the bank. The hokey language of these e-mails always cracks me up!
    Brian Vuillemenot

Daniel Geiger

I recently got one, where I was asked to provide details on the photography classes I teach (curriculum, credits, tuition etc). Pretty bizarre. I've taught Intro Biology as well as Evolution, and a short adult education course on photography at a natural history museum. Not sure where the scam would go, but the e-mail had a certain odor to it. Apple-D for delete.

Vanannan

Hi
    I live on the Isle Of Man and have had this Email from the Uk, I quoted him £25.000 to photograph his daughters wedding, I received no response.

Scott Davis

It is so totally a scam... someone over on APUG got an even fishier one than this...
    his claimed to be a UK doctor, but he made gross spelling mistakes that even a cockney bum wouldn't make.