Thread: Problem with infra red film/2

Problem with infra red film/2

Fred I develop this film one sheet at a time in trays with intermittent agitatio n in Ilford's LC29 dil.1:29(this is similar to HC110).

IMHO it sounds more likely to be a problem with processing than fogging. I would have thought that fogging would result in more irregular patterns??? But I'm no expert!! The only other possibility is the film itself. I have had sheets of FP4 Plus that all had parallel marks running across every sheet in the box. This has only happened once and so I would be surprised if it was anything other than a fault with that box of film. Have you tried a fresh box?? Best of luck. Paul

Paul you may be right with regards to a fault with the film.I do have another un opened box of film in the fridge which I'll try next time I shoot infra red.Fort unately I've been able to print down these faint lines so they don't show in the finished print.However I do still suspect some fogging for I've just noticed th ere are certain areas showing uneven tones which I don't think is uneven develop ment.I must try a thicker cloth over the bellows.Many thanks,Trevor.

Your bellows might not be light-tight to IR. Once when I had a pinhole leak (for all light!) in my bellows, I got a small area on my negatives with thin parallel lines. Fabrics might not be IR opaque, either. If you want to augment your bellows, perhaps Aluminum foil would be a good choice. To test whether you have a IR leak, take your camera to light equivalent to that in which you use it, place a holder in the camera and remove the dark slide for longer than you would have it out in making a photograph (in order to make the test more stringent that actual use). Do not fire the shutter. Develop the film and see if it is exposed.

Trevor, thanks for the info, having trouble with e-mail. Regards Paul