Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Epson V750, conclusion?

Scott Davis

Re: Epson V750, conclusion?

will the V750 be sufficient when combined with an older Epson 2200 for making acceptable digital negs for alt process printing (up to 11x14 or so, definitely not larger than 12x20)?

It should be fine if you are initially scanning 4x5 or larger film. IMO for highest quality work smaller formats are best scanned with dedicated film scanners or drumed.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Scott Davis

I'd probably be using it to bump some 2 1/4 rollfilm up to 8x10 or thereabouts, and some Polaroid Type55.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Harris View Post
    ... Tests that more approximate our operating conditions and viewing give a DMax of ~ 2.25 for these same models. In fact, all of the Epsona nd Microtek scanners tested fall into a DMax range of around 2.2 to 2.5. ...
    Ted,

How do you determine those values? Is your method described anywhere on the web? With a DMax that low don't you run into problems with negative film, never mind reversal film?

Thanks,
    Helen

Scott, you would notice a difference between the 750 and even a used Nikon 8000 for 2 1/4. Would it matter at 8x10? Not much, but at 16x20 definitely.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

The NSTL tests show DMax of more than 4.0 for the V700, V750 and 4990. Tests that more approximate our operating conditions and viewing give a DMax of ~ 2.25 for these same models. In fact, all of the Epsona nd Microtek scanners tested fall into a DMax range of around 2.2 to 2.5. The high end scanners mostly bunch in a DMax range of 3.9 to 4.0.
    Personally I don't find DMax figures to be of much use. I can make a good scan from a 4990 perform like one from a good drum scan in a print in terms of DMAX and dynamic range with a careful scanning work flow to maintain shadow and highlight detail.

HOWEVER!!! The drum scan will have much better resolution and much lower noise. These factors cannot be made up for in the 4990 scan, but may be acceptable with prints smaller than 16x20.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:

Helen, we use a Stouffer 41 step film wedge. We both do a visual inspection of the resuts and also run them through a software program. Michael runs the program and we'll have to wait till he is back in town for details.

Rio Oso shooter

I have the v700 and I like it. Here is a little story that you might appreciate. I have a 4X5 trannie that I scanned with my v700 and printed it 8X10 for a proof from an on line vendor. I like the results so I took it down an had it scanned professionaly to about a 280MB tiff file. I cleaned it up and proofed it to 8X10 using a local commercial vendor. I have to tell you that the commercially done scan and proof were heads and sholders above the scan and proof that I did. When I met a group of really advanced shooters they said that they like the proof that I had done off the V700 a lot more. I was shocked and did not bother to ask why. These guys and girls have been around a long time. It is really a question of the subjective standards that you have and what you want to do with the scanner. I use it to cull the good from the exceptional images that I have taken.
    4X5 makes me love everything I see after being with 35mm all these years!

Take care,
    Richard Adams

I too am after a new scanner, but after reading a lot about the V750 it appears great, but a bit fiddly to use, especially the wet mount attachment. I am going to wait and see how the M1 stacks up. If I get slightly better D max with no wet mount then I feel this will be a better choice. It will be less fiddly to use and require no smelly chemicals. The V750 also won't do 8X10 in wet mount, so the M1 will give the same results all the way to 8X10.

But in the end if the V750 is a better scanner the I will buy it - so I am waiting to see.

I just purchased the EP V750 and now that I have worked with it for the last two weeks I am going to start scanning my collection of >15000 4x5 trannies. But I seem to have run into a jam. The Ep Scan will not scan over 2400 dpi, 48 bit as I get a message say in " File too large' or something like that. I see that the file should be 3 GB and i certainly have the hardware for that no problem. Silverfast 6.5 give me a similar message " file <2GB" error. FYI I use a G5 power PC chi dual 1.8ghz with 4.5 gb ram and I have 100 gig free HD left. Any sugesstions. Epson said they would get back to me in 48 hours! I should mention that the scans are set to "original" size.