Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Let's start a petition for Pan-F in 4x5!

Re: Let's start a petition for Pan-F in 4x5!

It is a short-toe traditional-grained slow speed film. I've got nothing against it, but I don't use it because I wasn't crazy about the highlights I got with it.

DISCLAIMER: I did not plot curves for Pan F. I do not plot curves for any film, although I do use step wedges for evaluating papers. I use TMY in LF because of its reciprocity characteristics. Sometimes I even use a red filter with TMY. I never used Super XX, and I'm not crazy about the work of the only Super XX fetishist I know personally. I also develop Azo in Dektol, use Wollensak wideangles, carry a monorail in the field, run with scissors, like COT320, and only use overexposed HIE in 35mm because I like the soft-focus look.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    never used the film. What was so special about it?
    If you are talking about Super XX, the most important characteristics for me were.

1. When making separation negatives it had a short toe with a long straight line and almost no shouldering.

2. For regular landscape shooting it had great potential for zonal expansion and contraction.

3. It was also a great film for development by inspection because even with very energetic developers Super XX developed contrast rather slowly, so one had plenty of time to inspect the negative and react to the conditions.

Grain was fairly significant, but that was not an issue with LF, which was where Super XX was most popular.

Super XX was cancelled by Kodak around 1989 or 1990. Sometime shortly thereafter Michael A. Smith purchased all of the remaining stock, and has been using it since then with the ABC Pyro forumla. I had the opportunity to test some of MAS's stock of Super XX a couple of years ago and at that time it still had box speed and excellent potential for N+ and N-. At about the same time a friend gave me a couple of boxes of 12X20 Super XX he had purchased just before it was cancelled. Both the MAS stock and the film I obtained from the friend had rather high B+F, about log .45 or so, but still gave good results for printing with AZO.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by jshanesy View Post
    What in the world can that possibly mean?
    Nothing, that is just photo speak from people who do not know how to test but presume on telling us which films are good or not...