Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lenses Suitable for 11x14 Wet Plate

Lenses Suitable for 11x14 Wet Plate

Hi,

I'm new to LF (and this forum) and decided to go about things the hard way and start out with 11x14 wetplate. I've been looking for lenses suitable for that format and ones with will give a period look to my plates. I found this one on ebay and was wondering if anyone had any input on whether or not this might be a good lens to start out with. I have an 11x14 studio camera so the front standard is really big and can handle the big lenses.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Giant-450mm-f4-B...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks,

Walt

Re: Lenses Suitable for 11x14 Wet Plate

That one ought to work just fine. Looks like it's re-assembled cockeyed to me though. Seems like the slot for the waterhouse stops should be inside the cut out portion of the outer barrel.

I have some questions about the guy's calculations; If it were really a 450mm f4 lens it would have a FRONT (rear is irrelevant to these calculations) diameter of 112mm or so, not 86mm.

On second glance, after reading Jim's post, I think this is a lens to be wary of; it looks very wrong, the element could possible be reversed, and I have no idea what that slot is doing there.

Perhaps you should keep on looking. My suggestion for a cheaper (relatively) and compact 11x14 lens is a 19" f6 Dallmeyer 5D.

It's my lens and there is nothing wrong with it. The slot for stops was added later. The elements ARE not reversed. I used f4 as a basis when shooting wide open and the it worked fine when shooting tri-x. I develop by inspection, so I may have been slightly off (my wife would say more than "slightly"!). As I said in my auction, the glass is very very clean and throws an 18" image circle, of which 11x14 is certainly sharp when shot at infinity. It's a marvelous lens. It is very very similar (almost identical) in appearance to the larger Dallmeyer I've used when shooting 11x14.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

If a 450mm lens covers 11x14" (17.8" diagonal, no practical difference from 18"!) sharp at infinity, it's no Petzval. A Petzval would have a sharp image circle of about half that!

It could be an "extra rapid rectilinear" or something like that, though. But the full 53 degrees (coverage equal to focal length) is still unrealistic.

Also, with a front element that much smaller than the rear element it looks like a lens assembled from spare parts - front and rear cells are most likely unmatched.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    On second glance, after reading Jim's post, I think this is a lens to be wary of; it looks very wrong, the element could possible be reversed, and I have no idea what that slot is doing there.

Perhaps you should keep on looking. My suggestion for a cheaper (relatively) and compact 11x14 lens is a 19" f6 Dallmeyer 5D.

I wish 5 D's were cheap or even relatively cheap. I let one get away with an 11X14 I sold

I haven't been able to replace it yet.

I wish 5 D's were cheap or even relatively cheap..
    Well, yeah, ok, even relative is relative, right? I have seen 11x14 Petzvals sell on eBay for close to $1000, so a $500 5D is then relatively cheap, no?

I for one am glad I did my Brass Shopping a few years back.

Hi Walt,

"I've been looking for lenses suitable for that format and ones with will give a period look to my plates. "

If you're still looking, I do have a B&L Universal Protrait #3 in very fine shape. It's a 16" f/4 petzval type with adjustable soft focus and convertible. If I get the time I'll take some pics and post it in the 'For Sale' section this weekend.

Have fun with the wet plates.

Sorry Paul, but a 16" Petzval won't cover 11x14 without significant vignetting.