Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does Toyo 45CF offer rear tilt and swing?

Re: Does Toyo 45CF offer rear tilt and swing?

It would seem that with the drop bed together with front rise and fall), one can achieve the same effect as variable tilt.

To me, the question is whether it has shift AND swing on the front. It seems that with those movements, along with front drop, rise, and tilt, one shold be able to achieve the same effect on all movements. although perhaps not to the same degree.

YES : it has shift and swing (same lever lock), center tilt and rise and fall on the front.
    And zero detent on all movements except rise and fall (red mark for neutral position).

I would be less concerned about the lack of rear movemnts on the CF than I would about its sturdiness. I use an AII-L and one of the reasons I use it is because it is bomm proof. Having said that I too use rear tilt a lot in the field. I was initially put off by the seemingly shoddy construction of the early CF's but they seem to have taken care of that.

I know one CF user who swears by it because of its weight and he is very satisfied with its performance. This is someone with several different cameras so he can pick and choose but often chooss the CF.

HI Rider,
    I use the Toyo CF as my lightweight backpacking camera and the lack of rear tilt is something I get around by first dropping the bed,(one fixed position) then adjusting the front tilt. Its NOT my Arca, but it's light and sturdy even though its carbon fiber. Easy to set up and use and it folds into itself with a small lens attached.
    The last thing I want to do backpacking is have many small parts to lose, like the light monorails.
    I'm going to try to develop a clamp to hold the back in a partially tilted position. This may not be a good idea, but it could make this a very nice camera if I can make it work. I don't understand why Toyo wouldn't have rear tilt capability like their other field cameras. It would add very little weight. Perhaps parts from another Toyo could be added. I think it's one of the most underrated field cameras because it has a
    plasticy feel to it.
    -Brad