Thread: Polaroid problems?

Polaroid problems?

So here I am in a central american country, with my usual 4x5 HP5+ film and my polaroid type 52 film that I had planned to use for proofing - and none of the polaroids are coming out right.

The lightmeters are correct - all three have the same reading. I assume that my camera is fine too because I had just used it a couple of months ago without any problems - no sticky shutters etc.

But for some strange reason the polaroids come out way over-exposed. A normal daylight exposure of say, 125 at f16, is far too much exposure for the polaroid film. I have to close down at least 4 or 5 stops and even then the result leaves a lot to be desired, frankly.

I am not very familiar with using polaroids. Also, I fear that the airport zapping may have done something. I can only hope that my regular film will come out ok - will find out in a couple of days when I return to the 'states and develop them.

I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with the polaroid. Is type 52 the wrong type to use as proofing? I picked it because it was ASA 400, which matches the film I use, and therefore less chance of forgetting to adjust the speed...

Oh incidentally the polaroid film has numerous small white spots in the darkest sections...

Re: Polaroid problems?

A couple of quick points that apply to Polaroid in general; I can't comment on 52 because I don't use it. I use 72 for an ISO 400 film. 72 is uaually right on at 400 for me but not always and I know others who rate it as high as 1600.

First, Polaroid has a very short shelf life whenit goes out of date and starts to act squirrelly not too long after. Second, IMOP their quality control isn't that great either.

Is your film out of date? The small white spots sound like they could be a problem with the processing packet. FWIW, if it is in date Polaroid will replace the defective box bit I find it gets old. I shoot a lot of Polaroid and find that I am calling them every few months to replace film. Gotten to the point where I don't even bother most of the time.

Yup, looks like the problem is with the polaroid film. My negs are coming out just fine. Whew! Good thing I didn't rely on Polaroid totally, and took Hp5+ film along, or else my whole trip would have been blown. Man, there goes $60 in useless Polaroid film.

ted,

seems like you shoot a lot of polaroid... was wondering if you can help with a film stock rating question: im shooting T664 on a polaroid 195. what do you suggest i rate the light meter at? i currently rate it at ISO 40...but dont always get predictable results. i may need to have my camera shutter speed tested/recalibrated. my light meter (sekonic L-358) is new, btw. many thanks.

martin