Thread: How to delete/change metadata tags?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to delete/change metadata tags?

Hello all,
    Whilst preparing some files for delivery, I noticed Win XP attaches metadata to my scanned images (when rolling over, apart from date, size and file type it also displays Camera model: Perfection4990). I find it very annoying for another party to know the camera or scanner I use, is there a way to delete, conceal or change the dreaded "camera" tag? Thanks!

Re: How to delete/change metadata tags?

You can edit some metadata in Photoshop under File/File Info

or you can goto http://www.tucows.com/ and do a search on EXIF and IPTC

that will provide you with a list of utilities for editing image metadata. I have no idea if any of them are any good since I haven't used any of them.

Thanks Rob. Photoshop doesn't let you edit the "camera" tag. I also went to Tucows and downloaded a program called Exifer, designed to edit EXIF metadata. Alas, it doesn't support TIFF or PSD files.

Select all
    Copy
    File>>New
    Paste
    Flatten

i.e., copy photo into new file, flatten and save.

Mike

you could use the following but you need to have the relevant know how to do it.
    i.e. PHP running locally or on your isp and the ability to edit the code to make it write to the files you want it to write to. Then you can run it in batch mode on a directory of files and do them all in one go.

http://www.ozhiker.com/electronics/pjmt/

Mike, thanks for the tip, but I was trying to avoid the hassle of copying, pasting and renaming files one by one - I'm looking for something more automated.
    Rob, the toolkit looks great, too complex for me but it seems to include some sort of "plug-in" that enables metadata editing directly from the "file info" tab in Photoshop. I'll try it out.
    Thanks!

If the photoshop select all and paste to new file does what is required, then you can create an action to do it and then run the action as a batch operation on a folder.

Hi,

I am the newest member. Probably the less competent one. I need to delete or change some data in the "shooting information" panel of a photo file properties. I would be grateful if you could explain me how to do it.
    Mike explained a way: copy, flatten, paste. But I don't understand it very well.

Regards

Stefano Valentino

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Corcuera View Post
    Hello all,
    Whilst preparing some files for delivery, I noticed Win XP attaches metadata to my scanned images (when rolling over, apart from date, size and file type it also displays Camera model: Perfection4990). I find it very annoying for another party to know the camera or scanner I use, is there a way to delete, conceal or change the dreaded "camera" tag? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    Select all
    Copy
    File>>New
    Paste
    Flatten

i.e., copy photo into new file, flatten and save.

Mike

Hi,

I am the newest member. Probably the less competent one. I need to delete or change some data in the "shooting information" panel of a photo file properties. I would be grateful if you could explain me how to do it.
    You explained a way: copy, flatten, paste. But I don't understand it very well.

Regards

Stefano Valentino