Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photo editing software - not the usual kind

Photo editing software - not the usual kind

This isn't about Photoshop or any software meant to edit images. This is about software used to edit bodies of work. I'm trying to find something that allows one to load a bunch of web-res jpgs or something to that end and view all of them together, with the functionality to allow you to freely rearrange their order, add, delete, mark, etc as needed. Imagine the way you have a bunch of transparencies laid out on a big light table and can edit their order and such freely. I want software to do that. The closest thing I can find so far is the organizing tool used on the site flickr.com, but it's web only, flash-based, and not particularly well suited to this sort of task.

Any suggestions?

Daniel Geiger

Re: Photo editing software - not the usual kind

Two suggestions. I have used on a Mac just regular windows to do that. Open a window with your image files (assumes they have associated thumbnails), enlarge the icon size to largest possible, and drag files between folders for various projects, annotated the file names as needed etc.

Alternatively, you can also import images into Powerpoint, use the slide sorter function, and drag images around until you have the right order. Annotate the images in the annotation field and you are good to go. With PP, the files are embedded into the PP file, unlike layout programs (InDesign/Quark) that call images up. I'm not sure what your final product is going to be, so that may have an influence.

To mark one image for multiple projects, either copy the files and put them in multiple directories/PP projects. Or I have set up my Filemaker database to do that using a relational table and some scripting. Sorting is a bit more of an issue in FM, though. I guess there could be some clever ways of doing it using buttons and scripts.

Extensis Portfolio is one such product, at a reasonable price. You might also want to investigate Apple Aperture and Adobe Lightwave, better known and more expensive. Another alternative is a few products sold by ArcSoft, which are on the low price end of things.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

David,

I believe iView MediaPro also does what you want it to do.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

David,

Apple's Aperature does exactly that. One of it's workspaces is even called the light table.

An excellent start. Thanks for the info!

download Adobe's "Lightroom" (beta) for free

works

If you are using a Mac what's wrong with iPhoto that comes with the machine?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

it's a great question. i always wanted an easy way to do this, and ultimately gave up because i've never had a screen big enough to let me look at groupings the way i like to.

the simple hack way that i've tried is to make a big document in a page layout program (quark or indesign), and bring the images into little picture boxes. you can then order and group them easily, make small individual groupings, shove some off to the side, etc. etc.

it would work great if i had a 4 foot wide screen, but the 19 and 21 inch monitors i've used just feel too cramped. so i end up making work prints with an office inkjet printer someone else's color laser printer, and spreading them out all over the floor.

another one which is also an image asset management tool and will build web gallery and slideshows from imges. Cheap too.

Imatch

Colour managed too!
    Last edited by robc; 22-Nov-2006 at 10:42.