Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wollensak Velostigmat and Wollensak Verito

Re: Wollensak Velostigmat and Wollensak Verito

Just out of curiosity, what kind of prices are you paying for these lenses? I've noticed a few at Igor's... why are such old lenses so expensive?

Andrew,

Old lenses in general have less contrast and smoother transition from in-focus to out-of-focus areas. An Apo Sironar-S with Velvia gives the "calendar look", but a Heliar, Dagor, Verito, Velostigmat, etc can give a different and "smoother" look, especially in black and white.

I'm eclectic and enjoy both, but prices are high for premium examples of vintage lenses because the supply is limited with respect to the (current) demand, as evidenced by your inquiry!

Steve

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of prices are you paying for these lenses? I've noticed a few at Igor's... why are such old lenses so expensive?
    hi andrew

i also have a velostigmat ( triple convertible ) as well as a verito.
    i got the velostigmat at igors ( thanks to a tip from john kasaian!)
    and it wasn't cheep, but at the same time it wasn't as expensive as a new lens.

the attached image is the velo convterted to 20" wide open - paper negative.
    folks say these triple convertible lenses aren't s very good because of sharpness issues, but i don't really notice

have fun!
    john
    Last edited by jnantz; 11-May-2007 at 03:46.

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    ...Veritos are a lot larger and heavier than equivalent focal length Velostigmats.
    My experience has been different. I have both the 12" Velostigmat SF and an 11 1/2" Verito, each mounted to use with the Wisner 5x7 and the Velostigmat takes the boat anchor award each time. The reference is to weight only; both are fine lenses, each with its own qualities. This link may be old news to most, but it's still an amusing exercise: http://wfwhitaker.com/tech/verito.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Demand.

This is an image done the other day with a 12" Velostigmat on a 5x4.

The scan is a reasonable representation of the print but some of the highlight detail has been lost. The tonality is much better from a print compared to the scan.

This was shot at f11 for 2.2 secs on Efke 5x4 100iso developed in a modified Buetler formula [dilution only]

If I had this as my only 300mm lens I would not feel in any way cheated. This image was shot against the light without any lens shade [no sun on the lens]. The lens is nearly 100 years old performs wonderfully

When Jim Galli, Kevin Saitta and myself shot at his friend's foundry I was amazed at the way the 12" handled the light.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Ca...Campbells.html

I need to develop an old fashioned eye to take advantage of some of the wonderful characteristics of this glass.

Jack Flesher recently indicate he is also soon to get a Velostigmat so it will be good to see some of his results.