Thread: Toyo 810M Back Vertical

Toyo 810M Back Vertical

I was shooting some architecture today with my Toyo 810M camera and when I got out my level I determined that the full open position for the back of the camera is less than vertical. Yes, I can push the black release bars and get past the full open stops to get it to 90 degrees to the camera bed, but the camera should open up to precisely the 90 degree position just like the front standard.

There are a set of allen bolts in the real axis assembly. Does anyone know if that is that where the adjustment is to get things squared up?

I guess I can call customer service in the AM but it is like a burr under my saddle and I thought I would check out the experience here.

Thanks. If I do not get an answer, I will post the response from Toyo service tomorrow.

Cheers!

Re: Toyo 810M Back Vertical

Well, I'm going to be totally useless. I pulled out my 810M to see if I could figure it aout and all I discovered that mine is just like yours. So I'll be watching this thread carefully as well. I hadn't noticed that before. But then again, I don't shoot architecture so it doesn't affect me as badly as it does you.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I went ahead and took a chance loosening the two allen bolts on each rear assembly and by George, the back came back to vertical just like a champ. I tightened them back down and it appears that the problem is solved.

If you have this camera check your front and back vertcal and make the adjustment as described.

Cheers!

Hopefully Michael, you can get your rear standard adjusted to the correct position and be able to put it behind you liek I did. 3/32 I believe is the right allen wrench.

Yes, it is not that big a deal for most photography but it is nice to know that when you raise the rear standard to vertical it is where it should be and you are not wasting time compensating for its misalignment with architecture.

Cheers!

That was too easy. What went wrong that I won't know about for several months?
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

Give yourself credit Michael for getting your camera out and checking it otherwise it would still be out of alignment.

I am sure that others will be checking their cameras as well.

Never even gave it a second thought before I wanted to preserve the long edge of a building in a photograph. Now I feel lucky that it all worked out.

Yeah, but just think how much more accurately my rock ledges will reproduce now. I won't people looking at the prints and saying, "Look at that distortion!"
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub