Thread: OOPS!!Dropped my spotmeter

OOPS!!Dropped my spotmeter

Dropped my spot meter (it's fried). Looking at a Pentax digital 1 degree. Read o ne ad that said it was an ambient spot. Is this so? Doesn't make sense to me. Se ems to defeat purpose of spot meter to read 1 degree of light falling on subject rather than reflected light, especially when using it for zone placement.

Pentax Digital Spotmeter is a 1 degree reflected light meter, not incident. It's a good meter. If you get one, I think you will like it.

As stated before the Pentax Spot Meter 9like all spot meters) measures reflected light but you are confusing the word ambient with incident. Ambient light in this case simply means that the Pentax reads only continuous l ight as opposed to The Minolta Spot F , The Gossen Ultra Spot, and the Sekonic spot meters which can read both continuous light and electronic flash. M y vote is for the Minolta.

In my experience, an analog-style meter such as the Pentax Spotmeter V with the calculator dial can make zone system figuring lots easier, at least for me.

For other uses I've found the Minolta Spotmeter F to be fine.

I second the vote for Quality Light Metric. All they do are repair and calibrate light meters. Jeff

Before you give up on it, why not let Richard Ritter look at it. He used to modify these meters for Fred Picker at Zone VI. No one knows them better than Richard. He is very good and his prices are most reasonable. It might save you a lot of money.

See his ad in Shutterbug, or contact him at: rrlg4mat@sover.net
    Alec

Thanks all for response. The meter I broke is a Soligor Spot Sensor II. I bought it as used but it had never been out of the box, so it is in good condition (except for the damage I caused). I think I will follow up on the repair suggestions. Thanks again.

Um...not meaning this as a put-down in any way...but the Soligor meters have bee n shown by quite a few tests in various mags to be rather non-linear and flary, so you might want to seriously consider buying a Pentax or Minolta rather than r epairing it.

Yes, flare is a problem with the Soligar's uncoated optics. Shading the lens can give a significantly different reading.

For what it's worth, Pentax America still repairs Spotmeter Vs. Mine is in the shop at the moment, I dropped it a while back. Total overhaul cost $125 including return shipping.