Thread: RnR a Jobo CPP2 + lift

RnR a Jobo CPP2 + lift

Just picked up a used Jobo CPP2 + lift off of craigslist ($425... ).
    Looking to give it a good RnR before giving it a try. I notice that Jobo recommends using their Processor II cleaner and that isn't too expensive in powdered for though I've heard mention that it's just citric acid, which I have for film/print stop baths. Is this true? Would like to be able to flush the lift as well and maybe lube up some parts and check to see if things are too worn. Any advice/experience you care to pass along? :-)

Re: RnR a Jobo CPP2 + lift

Hi Matthew!

A couple of years ago I rehabbed a CPP-2 that I bought on ebay. The initial problem was that the tubes in the lift were contaminated and weakening my developer (it doesn't take much to contaminate color developers). I tried at first to flush them out by removing the lift to my sink and running water through it, but to no avail.

One of the customers I met at a photo store was a CPP-2 user. He told me that the contamination gets into the folds of the accordian plastic and that I should use a certain toilet bowl cleaner that he claimed many photo labs use to clean their equipment along with using a bottle brush. He was so wrong!

Even though the toilet bowl cleaner was acidic and most likely to also affect the pH of the developer, I did try it. Still had a problem. So I decided to take the lift apart so see if I could get a brush or something inside to scrub out the accordian grooves. I don't know how Jobo assembles these things? They are impossible to take apart. I had to force pieces around to gain access and was afraid of breaking something.

I discovered by disassembling the lift that the accordian plastic is simply a decoration. It does nothing. The chemicals are transported through molded tubes about 1/2 in diameter. (I couldn't find a bottle brush small enough.) I twisted up paper towels with dishwashing detergent and inserted them as far as they would go into the tubes, using them to scrub as best I could. Then I flushed hot water through them for about 30 minutes.

This did the trick. It is important to note Jobo's instructions that you should always do the wash at the end of the process within the Jobo. This is because it also flushes out the tubes in the lift. If you take the drum off at the end of the fix step to run wash water through it, the residual fix will dry and harden in the tubes and the next time it will contaminate the developer.

I would first try developing a test film to see if you have contamination. If everything is satisfactory, then you need to nothing more than a good flush.

If anyone knows some tricks to disassembling the lift I would be happy to hear them for future reference. I also have replaced the nylon clips that hold the drum onto the lift. That was another forcing experience.

Cheers,
    al

Re: RnR a Jobo CPP2 + lift

Thanks, Al. Good thing I haven't tried to take it apart yet! I'd say the tempering bath probably needs a good acidic flush. This is the Pacific Northwest after all where nothing every really dries out. I do note some white residue in the tubes coming out of the lift so something needs to be done there as well. Probably just a good hot water flush will work. I guess lubricating anything is going to be tough if you can't take it apart easily.

rami rimon photographer

Thumbs up Re: RnR a Jobo CPP2 + lift

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Cordery View Post
    Just picked up a used Jobo CPP2 + lift off of craigslist ($425... ).
    Looking to give it a good RnR before giving it a try. I notice that Jobo recommends using their Processor II cleaner and that isn't too expensive in powdered for though I've heard mention that it's just citric acid, which I have for film/print stop baths. Is this true? Would like to be able to flush the lift as well and maybe lube up some parts and check to see if things are too worn. Any advice/experience you care to pass along? :-)
    hi Mr Cordery
    i also use a jobo cpp-2 lift.
    i have few recomendations:
    1)don't try to play or open the lift.you can breake it and than you will have to buy another lift.the lift is very secitive.
    2)cleaning the procesor:
    fill the bath with water,put inside dishwasher cleaning soap.
    put max temprature and let it work 4-5 hours.
    during the time that it works with cleaning materials on max temprature,take a bottle of 1 liter (the one that you put chemicals)-take hot water from the machine bath and put it in the lift.
    do like that as much as you can in order to clean the lift.

after you clean all the machine,drain the water and wash with cold water.
    fill up the bath 3-4 times after cleaning the machine,and let it work few minutes each time in order to wash the cleaning materials.

3)make a habit:
    always wash the machine after procesing,and drain the water.
    dont let the water stay in the machine if you do not use it.

4)make a habit to fill the machine water from the lift.
    use a pipe and fill the machine from the lift.
    after procesing and cleaning,wash the lift in the same way.
    if you always fill up the machine from the lift-it would stay clean.

kind regards
    Rami Rimon