Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scam?

scam?

Hi folks,

I'm selling a lens and this is the reply I received today from a fellow who gives me a somewhat supicious plan for payment:

"FurtherMore, He is in debt with me and he is ready to make payment to me. So i will ask him to send the payment to you. Once you recieve the Money Order Payment, you will deduct the cost of the Lens, you will then have the rest of the money sent back to me via Western Union.

You will deduct the cost of shipping via a registered mail and the express cashing charges at the bank from the money left.

If this is okay by you, I want you to furnish me with your details"

What's going on here? Does this sound legit? He's given me the phone number of this person in the US that is supposed to send me a money order.

Thanks for any advice, Steve Murray

Re: scam?

SCAM.

You'll find out later the money order is fake.

It is a Scam. If you want to test that, ask for the money to be sent to you by Western Union. They probably will decline that.
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 16-Nov-2006 at 12:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    It is a Scam. If you want to test that, ask for the money to be sent to you by Western Union. They probably will decline that.
    Either that, or tell him that your bank will put a 45-day hold on it.

Scam. And even if it wasn't would you really want to expect payment from someone he can't collect from himself?

Thanks for the heads up. This smelled like a scam right away but I thought I'd get some opinions from you guys. Thanks for confirming my suspicions.

Definately a scam! I was selling a lens before on ebay and got the exact same message from a possible buyer! Needless to say, i didnt go thru with the sale.

I had the same person kill a sale I was making, because he took the "buy-it-now" option.

Contact eBay.

Exact same thing here with a lens I was selling last month. Sob stories about daughter dying, house fire, really over the top. I got a check for $10,000 for a $800 lens with the expectation that I forward the sum on to his associate. Called the bank, and found out that they had had dozens of cases like this already. He was persistant and sent a second bad check too - this one looked printed out of a home inkjet printer...

This is the classic Nigerian money order scam. The message you received is a little more intelligible than the Nigerians used to be but it's the same scam. You could have some fun by stringing him along for a while but I'd just tell him where to put his money order and forget him.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.