Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velvia 50 makes a comeback?

Velvia 50 makes a comeback?

Looks like Fuji is bringing back Velvia 50. Check out the press release from Fuji UK.

http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/presscentr...ex.php?id=1312

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Re: Velvia 50 makes a comeback?

That's good to hear. Does anyone have any opinion on the Velvia 100 compared with the Velvia 50 in terms of color rendition, grain size, reciprocity characteristics, etc.? I have been using up my stock of the Velvia 50, but recently ordered a bunch of the Velvia 100. I tried the Velvia 100F in the past, but was not pleased with it.
    Brian Vuillemenot

We've been talking about this on APUG for a couple of weeks or so. Here is the full press release, as posted on APUG:

Official News Release from Fujifilm Professional
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Release Date: 7 November 2006

Fujifilm announces re-introduction of Velvia 50

Fujifilm Professional is delighted to announce that the company is planning to re-launch Fujichrome Velvia 50 into the UK market.

Production of Velvia 50 was halted at the beginning of 2005 when vital raw materials used in the production of the emulsion became unavailable. The re-launch of Velvia 50 is a further illustration of Fujifilm's continued commitment to the production and promotion of professional film.

Russ Gunn, Fujifilm Professional Product Manager, made this comment: "We have received many requests from photographers to restart manufacturing, as they had used Velvia 50 for many years and consider it unmatched in terms of quality and character. One of Fujifilm's main priorities is to nurture the culture of photography, so we have been reviewing the possibility of restarting production."

Gunn continued: "In response to these requests our research and development teams have been working hard to develop substitute raw materials and new manufacturing technologies that enable us to restart production of this famous emulsion. We are planning to re-introduce the new Velvia 50 in the spring of 2007. The characteristics of the new emulsion will mirror that of the previous product. Many photographers were understandably upset when we were forced to withdraw Velvia 50, and we are delighted to be able to announce its re-introduction."

An announcement of specific details, including price, formats and availability schedule will be made as soon as they are available. The existing range of Fujifilm Professional films will remain unaltered.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Vuillemenot View Post
    That's good to hear. Does anyone have any opinion on the Velvia 100 compared with the Velvia 50 in terms of color rendition, grain size, reciprocity characteristics, etc.? I have been using up my stock of the Velvia 50, but recently ordered a bunch of the Velvia 100. I tried the Velvia 100F in the past, but was not pleased with it.
    Brian, There is some nice information on these pages about the 100F and 100 compared to velvia 50.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/velvia100.htm
    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/velvia100f.htm

The press release is interesting. I don't recall Fuji ever mentioning raw material availability as a reason to discontinue Velvia 50. Did I miss that or is it just a clever way to say they made a crappy marketting decision?

I don't recall any mention of raw materials either. They had to put some kind of spin on it and this must be what they decided on. Sounds good, even if it is bullshit.

Well if they are changing the formula, I guarantee there will be folks who can see a difference, and won't like it.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I still don't like the new Classic Coke. It tastes different than the old classic Coke.

I just wish that one of the formats will be 11x14, please, please, please....

I ws told by a Fuji rep that the UK and Japan would be the first places to get this film. As of a couple of days ago it has not been announced for the US.

I will try and stay on top of this.

steve simmons
    Last edited by steve simmons; 16-Nov-2006 at 16:02.