Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arca Brainbox utility?

Arca Brainbox utility?

Sorry I didn't include 2/3 stops. Try again.

For MF <Table border> <TR VALIGN="bottom"> <TD ALIGN="left">11.39</TD> </TR> </Table>

Arca Brainbox utility?

For 5x7 <Table border> <TR VALIGN="bottom"> <TD ALIGN="left">23.04</TD> </TR> </Table>

Arca Brainbox utility?

OY!

Double OY!

Oy Oy Oy Oy!

It's really simple. Focus on the far. Mark a spot on the bed.

Focus on the near. Mark the new spot on the bed. Measure the difference.

Place whichever standard you re-focused with at the half way point between the two points.

Use swing/tilt appropriatley. It doesn't take much.

Then stop down. Linhoff makes/made a nice little chart that had the minimum f-stop required to get the two points in focus for a given reproduction ratio for a given format for the given focus displacement. B&H used to carry it.

If that doesn't work out, a similar table is in the book "Manual of Interior Photography" by Michael Harris and the entire process was described and mathematically documented/proven in Photo Techniques magazine Mar/Apr '96.

Sheesh! Wadda ya think they did in the ol' days?

Arca Brainbox utility?

Sean, I think you misunderstood what I posted. The whole thing that you go through is only once and you don't do that every time you take pictures.... If you've ever used a Sinar, you know how quick it can be to calculate DOF with the DOF calculator knob, compared to reading delta from the rail scale.

I have the 2nd edition, Professional Interior Photography but I don't recall there's a section for formulas. I'll check out the library for both lists you quoted.

Arca Brainbox utility?

The small Rodenstock Depth of Field and Angle Calculator does all of the above a nd more. Very handy and less than US $40.00

Arca Brainbox utility?

I have both the Rodenstock wheel and Lihof table. For some reason, I don't like both because it takes more time than Sinar DOF calculator knob. I like to be close to the camera and keep my eyes on the image on GG while I'm in the process of taking pictures. The calculator knob is the best and quickest I've tried so far and I have no time to waste whenever such a situation occurs. I started to think this discussion about wheel, table or knob is a personal taste. I paid about $26 or so for the Rodenstock wheel from B&H several months ago. As Ellis says, there're more in the Rodenstock wheel and I think it's a good product and worth buying it. Some of the things that the wheel includes are the effect of the anlge between optical axis and rail axis to the calculation, min. f-number N for different magnifications and formats. Bob Wheeler reviews the Rodenstock wheel positively in his survey.

Arca Brainbox utility?

Well Yoshi, like the Duke said, "A man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do."

If your system works, for you (and anyone else) bravo. I know I used more brain cells reading your post than I did the Harris and Photo Techniques articles. The odds of me making a mistake while trying to figure it out and then execute your approach are substantially higher as well. But what can I say, I was a liberal arts major.

Additionally, the focusing knob on my Kodak doesn't really lend itself to adaptation as it's quite small and shaped more like a Maltese cross than a circle.

FWIW, here's a quote from the Harris book, which follows his description of the focus spread technique I described:

"Universal Depth of Field calculators are available for some view cameras. These work on exactly the same principle as described above and are more convenient as they are built into the camera without necessitating any further external tables. They consist of a moveable aperture scale on the rear focusing knob which indicates the working aperture for any required depth of field, and also the optimum focus position."

This is on page 57 of the paperback printing of the 1993 edition, ISBN 0240512960

Arca Brainbox utility?

Ok Sean, I just made a strip for Arca F-line tension knob. When you print, follow the instruction to rescale and print based on your format size. I'm sure there is a way to look the strip nicer on Excel but this is what I could do today. If your camera has a rear geared focus knob and get the C-ring I was talking about on Method 2, place the ring on the focusing knob, mark a line on the ring and mark where you start on the rail, turn the knob one revolution, then calculate the delta (on ring)/delta on rail D as seen in the instruction. Then delta on ring = D*delta. I'll e-mail you the Excel file if you like. All you need to do is type in D then Excel plots the result. Then rescale and print. Now you got a DOF strip for your focusing knob.