Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clyde Butcher video

Re: Clyde Butcher video

Quote Originally Posted by mccarvill View Post
    Thanks for the tip.

The audio worked fine but all I saw was a bright green screen (using Windows Media Player). If anyone can suggest an alternative program to try, let me know.

Mark
    WinAmp works for me.

Dave

I wonder where he puts that big pack...does it float?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I wonder where he puts that big pack...does it float?
    I found the video amusing for the same reason Andrew alludes to. There he is wading in knee-deep water but there's nobody else with him so how's he going to set the pack down to get out his gear? The times I've seen him photographing he's always had his wife Nikki along to do the schlepping and in the swamp they've used a canoe to carry the gear.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

John,

Fabulous video! Thanks for sharing.

I've always enjoyed his images...

100 lbs! Guess my 45 pounder is just a minor inconvenience!

Andrew,

You'd almost think that tugging a small canoe would be easier than schlepping that backpack and pod!

Guess a baby's jogging stroller isn't going to work in that environment!

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I seriously doubt the 100 lbs. The way the pack was setting on his shoulders and back did not give the impression of that kind of weight. I suspect probably 50-60, still a considerable amount to be lugging around a swamp.

Enjoyable video. His work doesn't do much for me, but I enjoyed seeing how he works.

I don't understand why Clyde is dissed by so many photographers. I understand that some may not care for his subject matter (even Weston isn 't unversally enjoyed), and his giant prints may not be of St. Ansel quality, but he is a good, straight-forward, honest, full-time working photographer whose vision is unique, and freely shared with others. He does for conservation in Florida very much what AA did in California. He is a truly nice guy with only a normal sized ego, (which is one of the most amazing things about him).
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Clyde is one of the good guys, from my viewpoint. He has helped conservation here in Florida in the face of adverse political climate (our soon to be departed governor actually proposed pumping agricultural waste-water into the Florida aquifer in order to "clean" the water). Clyde also made me realize there is more to Florida than what's seen in tourist postcards. His photo techniques may be a bit loose, but the effect of viewing his prints is inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I don't understand why Clyde is dissed by so many photographers. I understand that some may not care for his subject matter (even Weston isn 't unversally enjoyed), and his giant prints may not be of St. Ansel quality, but he is a good, straight-forward, honest, full-time working photographer whose vision is unique, and freely shared with others. He does for conservation in Florida very much what AA did in California. He is a truly nice guy with only a normal sized ego, (which is one of the most amazing things about him).
    I'm not against Clyde, I just don't care much for B&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    When you refer to "dissing" do you mean in this thread? I didn't see any dissing of him here. I saw only praise for him, his work, and the video with a couple comments to the effect that the video wasn't entirely realistic but that certainly wasn't "dissing" Clyde.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.