Thread: LVT negative and silver gelatin printing

LVT negative and silver gelatin printing

Does anybody know what kind of quality can be expected with today's technology when enlarging an LVT negative (made from a 4x5 scan) onto a sheet of silver gelatin paper. Would one be able to get a high quality 16x20 print - comparable if not equal to or better than a print enlrged form an in-camera 4x5 negative. With respect to image quality (resolution, grain, sharpness, tonality, etc.) what sorts of issues would a person wishing to work with this method have to deal with.

In case you're wondering, I have some very good 4x5 B&W negs that I want to print, but they have some terrible scratches on them (carelessness on my part) that would be a nightmare to conceal in an enlargment. I'm looking for the best solution to this problem, keeping in mind that I like the look and feel of a silver gelatin print. I am hoping to scan them, touch them up in photoshop or some other program and produce 16x20 fibre prints.

Re: LVT negative and silver gelatin printing

The results should be very good at 16x20. I have made 4x5 negatives on a lightjet film recorder that could easily enlarge 4 times. The negatives look as detailed as the originals under a loop and when printed.

I have never used an LVT recorder, but from what I hear it is at least as good as the LightJet.

The main issue is to get a good scan. If you are springing for LVT negatives, get a good drum scan as well. Then the biggest issue will be getting the contrast right on the digital negative so it prints easily on your paper. It took me a bit of work to get the LightJet printing well on black and white film. Make sure the lab has the process worked out.