Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost

Cost

I am thinking about starting in Large Format. I thinking about cost not only start up for equipment but for possessing. First equipment: I would like to start with used equipment. I am undecided to which size to go with. I am wanting to go for the best in clarity. Is 11x14 better than 4x5 in clarity? Most of my prints would be around 11x14 or so. What would be about the cost difference in equipment of 4x5 and 11x14? Second processing: What would be the different in processing. I have no dark room or skills so I guess I would send it out. Talk about cost difference of processing between 4x5 and 11x14. The learning curve on burning film: I have the basic understanding of light. I have two years in digital. I do all or most of my settings in manual. I have the worry about making mistakes and having to try again and I feel that could get expensive for me. I like some advice on keeping the cost down for beginners while I learn the Large Format. I am reading in the how-to articles but it does not answer cost that well to me. I do mostly nature/outdoors photography. If you have any questions ask or e-mail me.
    Thanks

Re: Cost

If you are concerned about cost and only intend to print as large as 11x14 then 4x5 is probably your best option. You will likely not see any difference if you are only printing at 11x14. The cost of 11x14, for lenses, film, and cameras is much greater than for 4x5. It is much easier to learn on 4x5 and if you buy used, which you should, you can resell with little loss and always go to a larger format at a later date.

I would use black and white to begin, it is cheaper, and you should develop the film yourself.

Begin with one lens and get used to it before trying anything else.

Start with one traditional film, such as Ilford FP4, or HP5, they are easier to process properly. There are many excellent developers. Untill you are somewhat experienced there is not a great advantage of one over another. Pick one and stick with it. Learn how the film/developer combination reacts to different lighting and then optimise it. XTOL is cheap and good for both of those films.

Read the articles on the front page of this site, there is lots of info there.

KEH Camera Brokers and Midwest Photo exchange are both good places to guy used cameras and lenses.

http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/Categ...fContents.aspx

http://www.mpex.com/InventoryList.as...mat&SS=CAMERAS
    Last edited by Ron Marshall; 14-Nov-2006 at 16:49.

I would suggest some reading

go to

www.viewcamera.com

and then to

Free Articles

Also, pickup one of these books

User's Guide to the View Camera by Jim Stone

Using the View Camera that I wrote

or Large Format Nature Photography by Jack Dykinga.

There is a book called View Camera Technique that is not a good choice for a beginner.

steve simmons
    Last edited by steve simmons; 14-Nov-2006 at 18:20.

Thanks

Nash,

Cost wise... 4x5 is going to be far, far, far less expensive than any of the larger formats including 5x7, 8x10, or 11x14. From a learning "cost" standpoint... go with 4x5!

Secondly, if the maximum size of your enlargements is going to be 11x14... you won't need anything larger than 4x5. The images produced with your 4x5 will be absolutely fine when enlarged to 11x14.

Lastly, as Steve (and Ron) recommended.... do some research and learn before you pop down any money on a camera. Steve has suggested a great list of books there.

Good luck on the decision.

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

I am taking your advice every seriously. It sounds every logical when you know the field you are in. I would like to know about Polaroid film . Are there any cost advantages of polaroid over sending the film out or developing is your self.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    I am taking your advice every seriously. It sounds every logical when you know the field you are in. I would like to know about Polaroid film . Are there any cost advantages of polaroid over sending the film out or developing is your self.

Thanks
    The main advantage of Polaroid is to check the focus, lighting and exposure for critical shots. It is more expensive than black and white, especially since a Polaroid film holder must be purchased (available used). It is somewhat benefical for learning because one has instant feedback. But one can also shoot a few sheets of film and then develop them in 30 minutes in a tray.

Eventually you should learn how to develop, in my view the sooner the better, then you have more control over the process. Developing b/w film is not difficult. I use Developer, water rinse, alkaline fix, water wash. That's it! The options are tray, tank or drum/cylinder. They each have their benefits. The chemicals are cheap.

Thanks

My own experience is that 11x14 is, for me, prohibitively expensive unless your willing to settle for only one or two film holders. If cost is an issue, go with a 4x5. You can pick up an old Omega 4x5 enlarger for less than the cost of one used 11x14 holder. You might even find an old 4x5 kit---camera, lens and some film holders for less than the cost of one used 11x14 film holder. OTOH, for contact prints and portraits, 11x14 is as alluring as a siren's song---just know in advance that it'll cost you plenty! Good luck!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

As others have said, 11x14 is much, much more expensive than 4x5 - for instance, a complete 4x5 outfit - camera, lens, probably a few film holders and a case, can be found for less than $500. A working 11x14 camera alone - no lens, no film holders - would probably cost in the range of $1500.

If you go with 4x5, you'll need to get an enlarger. That is another expense, although not a great one. Or, you will need a scanner and printer to print digitally.

Another option might be to get an 8x10 and make contact prints. You can find used 8x10 cameras for not a lot more than 4x5s, and you can avoid the expense of the enlarger. Of course, you have to like 8x10 prints.

You have a lot to read. If there's a rental place near you, you might consider renting a larger format camera for a weekend to see if it's for you.
    juan
    Last edited by j.e.simmons; 15-Nov-2006 at 08:26.