Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New article by Ernest Purdum: Shutters - History and Use

Re: New article by Ernest Purdum: Shutters - History and Use

Quote Originally Posted by anton orlov View Post
    Just stumbled upon this article and reply thread by Ernst Purdum. Rest In Peace Mr. Purdum!
    I happened to have stumbled upon his estate after he passed away and I bought a good amount of stuff that he collected such as shutters and lenses. I wish I would have been a little more knowledgeable at that very moment because now I know I passed up some amazing items there that i could have had for 1/10th the real value or less. The thing that really made me sad is that the store wanted to throw away Mr. Purdum's hand-written (with parts of it typed) manuscript - luckily I got it jut in time. I don't know what to do with it though - I feel it should be published somehow, but I have no idea how. If anyone wants to chime in on this I would be happy to listen to any ideas. I'm in San Diego, CA.
    Q.T. Luong, the owner of this forum, curates the LFPF Home page, which might be the appropriate place to make the manuscript available. You can contact him via http://www.terragalleria.com/.

It may be necessary to get written permission from the estate to publish the manuscript, but I suspect that as long as it is offered to the public at no charge, they might not object.

I had a quick read of this introduction to shutters this morning. Reads very much like a wet Sunday afternoon project with at least one very bad mistake. Perhaps a revision with illustrations is called for?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    I had a quick read of this introduction to shutters this morning. Reads very much like a wet Sunday afternoon project with at least one very bad mistake. Perhaps a revision with illustrations is called for?
    The lack of illustrations in most of the articles is frustrating in this day & age, most would be greatly improved with revision to include relevant images - photographs or diagrams.

The shutter article is one where this would help enormously, also it could do with better discussion of focal plane shutters. There's a huge difference between the clumsy Graflex shutters with their long multi slit curtains and the more sophisticated self capping European shutters with two curtains.

Ian

Sound like volunteers

In general, articles on the Home Page were written, without compensation, for the purpose of sharing the information (and the author's expertise) with the LF community.

While I agree that most of the articles on the Home Page would benefit from additional illustration, the LFPF does not "own" the articles. The copyrights remain with the original authors, who have simply given us permission to publish the material here. As such, we do not have the authority to make revisions to the articles, absent additional permission from the authors. Obviously, that becomes problematic in the case of a deceased author.

Volunteers could, however, submit illustrations or photos as part of a separate addendum article. Such efforts should be approved in advance by discussing the proposal with Q. T. Luong via e-mail or PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    In general, articles on the Home Page were written, without compensation, for the purpose of sharing the information (and the author's expertise) with the LF community.

While I agree that most of the articles on the Home Page would benefit from additional illustration, the LFPF does not "own" the articles. The copyrights remain with the original authors, who have simply given us permission to publish the material here. As such, we do not have the authority to make revisions to the articles, absent additional permission from the authors. Obviously, that becomes problematic in the case of a deceased author.

Volunteers could, however, submit illustrations or photos as part of a separate addendum article. Such efforts should be approved in advance by discussing the proposal with Q. T. Luong via e-mail or PM.
    Your points are spot on. It would be great if some of the writers could update their articles with images and re-submit them. In the case of the few where the authors have passed away you make a good suggestion.

Ian

I am not an attorney and I'm especially not an intellectual property attorney but for one of my projects I've had to review what the U. S. Copyright Office says about derivative works. Short version, derivative works include revised versions. The holder of the original copyright also holds copyright to derivative works.

With this in mind it isn't obvious that Ralph's objections to revising text, including adding illustrations, amount to anything.

I agree with Mr. Tribe's comments, think that they apply to many of this site's FAQs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    Sound like volunteers

Perhaps the way forward is to supplement with more detailed shorter articles on sub-sections?

This would be more do-able and more likely to attract volunteers. I doubt whether there is any one person who could cover the whole field, without doing a lot of research.

I would have thought that the following could be worthy of independent articles (just off the top of my head though!):

Gravity /Spring Gullotine shutters.
    Early clockwork shutters.
    Early FP shutters.
    Single curtain FP shutters
    Double curtain FP shutters.
    Front mounted TP and later curtain shutters.
    American shutters with mounted lens cells.
    Compur and Compound.
    Wooden pneumatic Shutters (Guerry and Grundner). I would like to have a go at this one!
    Simple front mounted shutters (Luc, Zettor etc.).

Perhaps the separate articles could include info about reliability and repairs (for the more simple types)? I think that earlyphotography.uk now has a section on shutters which I need to check how comprehensive it is so we don't meddle in something which is already covered.

The Earlyphotography website is rather comprehensive, yes there will be gaps but I doubt there's much else if anything like it and it keeps expanding. The site catalogues early equipment etc but doesn't provide a history.

Ian

If anyone is interested I have the manuscript for what I assume was a book that Ernst Purdum was writing prior to his passing. I got it from his estate. Since I don't check into here too often better to email me at orlovphoto@gmail.com